Past results and lost certificates

We can’t provide a full replacement certificate – but we can send you a certified statement with your results on, or confirm your grades to a university or employer.

We are unable to provide results over the telephone or via email due to the Data Protection Act (1998) and security reasons.

We do not hold past exam results for all of the exam boards. If you are not sure which exam board you took your exams with, you could contact the school or college where you took your exams or contact an old school friend to ask if they still have their original certificates, which will show the name of the exam board. For more information please see our who holds your records pages.

It takes an average of 28 working days to process your application. We do not offer a fast track service and all applications are processed in strict date order. We receive a high volume of applications and we advise you to apply at least eight weeks in advance of the date that you need your results. Applications will be kept for six months.

Lost certificates

If we hold your results, we are able to provide two types of document:

  • Certified Statement of Results – used to replace a lost certificate
  • Confirmation letter to a third party – eg universities or employers

We are unable to confirm if we hold your results without conducting a full search. The fee for this service is £43.00 and is non-refundable.

Read the Frequently asked questions.

To make an application:

1. Download and complete an application form

You’ll need to download and complete the following application form.

Ensure that you read the declaration on the first page of the application form, sign this by ticking the confirmation box electronically or by hand, and submit this to us with your completed application form. We are unable to process your application form without this.

2. Identification

Ensure you send copies (we will not be responsible for any originals) of the required documentation as stated within the application form. We need this to be able to search for your results and produce the relevant documentation.

3. Payment

We do not take payment directly from you. The application fee needs to be paid through a bank transfer either through your online/telephone banking or in your bank’s local branch. See How to pay. If you're paying from abroad, you'll need to use our International Bank Transfer reference when making your payment: IBAN: GB18NWBK60095026165570

We do ask you to list your payment details on the application form to help us identify when we have received your payment. We cannot begin to process your application until your payment has been received.

4. Send us the documents

Send your completed application form and all relevant documentation to:
AQA Records
Devas Street
M15 6EX
or attach them to an email to

Amendments to an original certificate

If your personal information (eg name or date of birth) is incorrect on your certificate, you’ll need to request an amendment.

We can only amend personal details based on your birth certificate. We are unable to amend name changes made by deed poll after the closing date for entries in the year the exam is taken. For further information please refer to This excludes transgender cases.

You’ll need:

  • your original certificate
  • a copy of your birth certificate
  • a covering letter specifying the amendments

Please send the documents above to:
AQA Records
Devas Street
M15 6EX


We provide a verification service for certificates issued by our predecessor boards to a third party (eg employers and universities).