Applied Business (8610)
A-level Applied Business will be available until June 2017. Please see the update page for further information on Ofqual's decision regarding the future of the A-level Applied Business specification. Read about our new Level 3 Applied General Qualifications in Business for first teaching in September 2016.
A-level Applied Business helps students to develop knowledge and understanding of:
- the practices and techniques used within marketing, finance, operations management, human resource management and the links between them
- the processes, attractions and risks of setting up an enterprise
- the relationship between the business and the changing external environment
- social and ethical issues in business.
The specification also encourages students to:
- contribute to the development of the skills required for success as an entrepreneur, manager or employee
- apply numerical and written business techniques to a variety of business contexts
- explore business problems and learn to identify possible solutions.
These AS, A-level or A-level (Double Award) courses will develop students' understanding of business by making connections between areas of knowledge, skills and understanding. These courses are made up of both written and portfolio units. This course is particularly suitable for students who have successfully completed courses of study in a range of subjects at GCSE level, one of which does not necessarily have to be Business Studies.
The qualification allows for a number of progression routes including:
- higher education: the Advanced awards provide a sound basis for progression to a range of HE courses, eg BA degrees in business subjects and HNDs
- employment: the specification aims to maintain and support the recognised standards demanded for Applied Business education and training in order to meet the requirements of various business sectors
- related qualifications in the National Qualifications Framework: the specification enables students to progress to other Applied Business related qualifications.
Get news, updates and inspiration
- Last date to conduct practical work and written test for May/June 2017 Science ISA and EMPA
- Last date for AQA and the moderator to receive internally-assessed marks for May-June 2017. Exceptions: Art and Design (including new AS); Dance; legacy A-level Drama and Theatre Studies
- Last date to submit externally-assessed coursework to the examiner for May/June 2017 Music units 2 and 5
Codes and references
|Qualification type||AS and A-level|
|Specification title||Applied Business|
|Certification code||8611 AS Single
8613 AS Double
8616 A2 Single
8617 AS (Additional) /A2
8619 A2 Double
Talk to us
Aimee Harris and the customer support team.
Now available to support you until 7pm.
(During half term weeks we will close at 5.30pm)
Tel: 01483 477863