English hub schools network
Our English hub schools organise free, local events where you can network with other teachers to share knowledge and grow your skills.
Our networks meet in person each term to:
- discuss teaching ideas, strategies and best practice
- share resources and experiences
- hear the latest from AQA.
Spring 2018: GCSE English meetings
Take a more detailed look at descriptive writing and discuss ways your students can improve narrative.
Spring 2018: A-level English meetings
These meetings are designed to support teaching of our A-level English Language and English Language and Literature specifications.
The meetings will include:
- how to apply appropriate language methods
- linking language methods to meanings, interpretations and representations
- an examination of context and mode
- working with comparisons.
Previous meetings and resources
Autumn 2017: GCSE English Literature
In this session we explored Assessment Objective 3 and context, along with text choices and common misconceptions. We also looked at ways to prepare your students for poetry.
Autumn 2017: AS and A-level English Literature A and B
Split into three sessions, the meeting first looked at Specification A and how to make effective use of the extract, plus tackling passage-based questions.
Session two was based on Literature A and B, and looked at the transition from GCSE to A-level and how the new linear GCSE English Literature specification might influence your planning.
Session three looked at Literature B, and what it really means to 'answer the question'.
Summer 2017: GCSE English specifications
At this session we explained what we do to make sure students get the right results, including information on how grade boundaries are set.
Summer 2017: AS and A-level English Language and Literature
The first network session exclusively for teachers of AS and A-level English Language and Literature (7706, 7707) focused on lessons learned from first teaching of the new specifications.
Spring 2017: GCSE English Language
This GCSE-based session focused on the transition from Key Stage 3 to Key Stage 4.
- Handout: the KS3 to KS4 transition
- Handout: Paper 1 Question 3: further insights – how structure is assessed
Spring 2017: AS and A-level English Language
These networking sessions focused on less familiar areas of the A-level English Language specification, as identified by your feedback.
- Handout: Language discourses
- Handout: Child language
- Handout: Guide to writing realistic papers: Assessment guide
Autumn 2016: GCSE English Literature
These network meetings included discussions on independent learning, featuring items for both literature and language teachers.
- Handout: GCSE English Literature mark scheme support
- Handout: Texts to support ‘viewpoints and perspectives’
Autumn 2016: AS and A-level English Literature specifications
These sessions focused on the two A-level English Literature specifications, and the theme was independent learning.
- Handout: AS English Literature A report on the exam (condensed)
- Handout: AS English Literature B report on the exam (condensed)
- Handout: Case studies for approaching A-level English Literature
You can find presentations and resources from earlier English hub school network meetings on Secure Key Materials (SKM) on e-AQA.
We also offer a range of professional development and training courses to help you teach our specifications. Browse our current courses