Why choose AQA for GCSE History
We believe in the importance of learning from history. That's why we've designed a specification that enables students to study different aspects of the past, so they can engage with key issues such as conflict, understand what drives change and how the past influences the present.
We’ve worked with teachers and subject experts to include some exciting new topics for today’s world that will resonate with students, helping them gain new insights into the world around them.
To give you the choice and flexibility to teach the history you want to teach, we’ve included the most popular and well-established topics. Building on the skills and topics at Key Stage 3, our GCSE will equip your students with essential skills and prepare them for further study.
You can find out about all our History qualifications at aqa.org.uk/history
Support and resources to help you teach
We’ve worked with experienced teachers to provide you with a range of resources that will help you confidently plan, teach and prepare for exams.
Visit aqa.org.uk/8145 to see all our teaching resources. They include:
- sample schemes of work for two year courses, plus lesson plans to help you plan your course with confidence
- guidance and materials for the historic environment study
- student textbooks, checked by AQA
- mapping to link Key Stage 3 with Key Stage 4 content
- step-by-step guide to our assessments
- training courses to help you deliver AQA History qualifications
- subject expertise courses for all teachers, from newly-qualified teachers who are just getting started to experienced teachers looking for fresh inspiration.
Preparing for exams
Visit aqa.org.uk/8145 for everything you need to prepare for our exams, including specimen papers and mark schemes for new courses.
Analyse your students' results with Enhanced Results Analysis (ERA)
Find out which questions were the most challenging, how the results compare to previous years and where your students need to improve. ERA, our free online results analysis tool, will help you see where to focus your teaching. Register at aqa.org.uk/era
For information about results, including maintaining standards over time, grade boundaries and our post-results services, visit aqa.org.uk/results
Keep your skills up-to-date with professional development
Wherever you are in your career, there’s always something new to learn. As well as subject-specific training, we offer a range of courses to help boost your skills.
- Improve your teaching skills in areas including differentiation, teaching literacy and meeting Ofsted requirements.
- Prepare for a new role with our leadership and management courses.
You can attend a course at venues around the country, in your school or online – whatever suits your needs and availability. Find out more at coursesandevents.aqa.org.uk
Get help and support
Visit our website for information, guidance, support and resources at aqa.org.uk/8145
You can talk directly to the History subject team:
T: 0161 958 3861