Why choose this specification?
A-level Further Mathematics offers students the chance to broaden and deepen their mathematical knowledge and skills developed when studying A-level Mathematics. It can be studied alongside or taken after A-level Mathematics.
Topics such as Matrices and Complex Numbers are introduced for the first time, while others, such as Algebra, Calculus and Trigonometry, are studied in greater depth.
Further Maths is one of the suite of Maths A-levels available within the Mathematics 6360 specification.
- the variety, breadth and depth of the topics
- the flexibility and balance of both Pure and Applied Maths topics
- how students gain practical and theoretical mathematical skills that help with the transition into higher education.
- studying a Russell group universities facilitating subject
- studying Maths at a deeper level
- gaining two A-levels in Maths – Maths and Further Maths
- learning practical skills applicable in a variety of contexts – not just mathematical ones
- seeing the relevance of the course to them because of the practical applications
- the strong foundation that a deeper understanding of Maths gives them for study in other areas
- that Maths complements many other A-level subjects
- building mathematical skills that will help them in a variety of careers.
- understanding of the Mathematics, both practical and theoretical, that underpin nearly all aspects of our lives
- improved mathematical understanding and technique
- acute logical thinking and problem-solving abilities
- the ability to process, interpret, analyse and use information.
- schemes of work
- flexible training programmes that fit around your needs
- enhanced results analysis (ERA) to help compare performance against other schools and colleges
- advice by email and phone from the subject team and assessment advisers including email updates.
Overlap with other qualifications
There are overlaps in subject content between the Statistics units in this specification and the A-level Statistics specification.
This specification offers a number of allowed combinations of units but some combinations have restrictions for subject awards.
Students can re-sit each unit any number of times within the shelf-life of the specification. The best result for each unit will count towards the final qualification.
This specification is available to private candidates. For more information, please see our Private candidates page.
Throughout the AS and A-level Further Mathematics programme, students are encouraged to think logically, practically and analytically. These fundamental Maths skills are useful across all kinds of disciplines and careers.
A-level Further Mathematics is a good choice for students considering higher education in any Science or Maths-based course, ranging from: computer science, biochemical sciences, natural sciences, engineering, medical sciences and psychology to statistics, economics, accountancy, management and actuarial science.
Career opportunities for students who study A-level Further Mathematics include: computer science, industry, accountancy, finance, economics, insurance, healthcare, medicine, veterinary science and engineering.