Biology (IGCSE) (8401)
We have carefully considered the future of our Level 1/2 Certificates (IGCSEs) in the light of government changes to GCSEs and have decided not to develop a new L1/2 Certificate in Biology.
The last exams for students taking the current qualification will be in the June 2017 series and there will be no final re-sit opportunity.
As an alternative, you may like to consider our new GCSE in Biology which we are planning to develop for first teaching in September 2016 and which will be equal to the best qualifications available internationally.
Find out more about these changes and which qualifications we are planning to offer in the future. You can also contact the customer support team on the details shown below.
The AQA Level 1/2 Certificate in Biology is equivalent to a GCSE full course, taking 120-140 Guided Learning Hours.
It is a topic-based specification designed to stimulate students' enthusiasm for biology and scientific enquiry. Topics include:
- cell structure
- human biology
- defending ourselves against infectious disease
- variation and inheritance.
Assessment is linear, with students taking two 90-minute written papers, each worth 50% of the marks. There is no controlled assessment.
The specification qualifies for Section 96 funding, and will be included in the Key Stage 4 Performance Tables from 2016.
There are no previous learning requirements for this course, but it is particularly suitable for students who want to go on to study biology at A-level.
IGCSE is the registered trade mark of University of Cambridge International Examinations.
Get news, updates and inspiration
- Results for May/June 2018 AQA Baccalaureate, AQA Certificate (Level 3), Functional Skills, FSMQ (Advanced level) and Level 3 Extended Project available to schools/colleges via e-AQA and EDI for exams officers and heads of centre, except for Technical Level published via Gateway
- Results for May/June 2018 AQA Baccalaureate, AQA Certificate (Level 3), Functional Skills, FSMQ (Advanced level) and Level 3 Extended Project released to students
- Receive written feedback for May/June 2018 internally-assessed work for AQA Baccalaureate, AQA Certificate (Level 3), Functional Skills, FSMQ (Advanced level) and Level 3 Extended Project
Codes and references
|Qualification type||AQA Certificate (IGCSE)|
|Specification title||Biology (IGCSE)|
|Guided Learning Hours||120-140|