Science: Double Award (IGCSE) (8404)
We have carefully considered the future of our Level 1/2 Certificates (IGCSEs) in the light of government changes to GCSEs and have decided not to develop a new L1/2 Certificate (IGCSE) in Science: Double Award.
The last exams for students taking the current qualification will be in the June 2017 series and there will be no final re-sit opportunity.
As an alternative, you may like to consider our new GCSE Science (Double Award) which we are planning to develop for first teaching in September 2016 and which will be equal to the best qualifications available internationally.
Find out more about these changes and which qualifications we are planning to offer in the future. You can also contact the customer support team on the details shown below.
AQA Level 1/2 Certificate in Science: Double Award is equivalent to a GCSE Double Award full course, taking 240-280 Guided Learning Hours.
The specification covers much of the GCSE Programme of Study, but is not restricted by it. It covers a range of scientific topics that will engage and stimulate students' interest in science, and provides an excellent grounding for further study.
The specification is designed to give students a solid foundation in overall science. To do this, it covers the core sciences of biology, chemistry and physics. Each subject area is assessed in two 60-mark 1 hour written papers. In each subject area:
- Paper 1 is more weighted to assessment of knowledge, understanding and application
- Paper 2 includes a higher proportion of questions aimed at experimental and investigative skills.
Assessment is linear, with all assessments being taken at the end of the course. There is no controlled assessment.
Students who study the AQA Level 1/2 Certificate in Science: Double Award can go on to further study of science subjects at A-level such as biology, chemistry and physics.
The specification qualifies for Section 96 funding, and will be included in the Key Stage 4 Performance Tables from 2016.
IGCSE is the registered trade mark of University of Cambridge International Examinations.
Get news, updates and inspiration
- Results for May/June 2018 AQA Baccalaureate, AQA Certificate (Level 3), Functional Skills, FSMQ (Advanced level) and Level 3 Extended Project available to schools/colleges via e-AQA and EDI for exams officers and heads of centre, except for Technical Level published via Gateway
- Results for May/June 2018 AQA Baccalaureate, AQA Certificate (Level 3), Functional Skills, FSMQ (Advanced level) and Level 3 Extended Project released to students
- Receive written feedback for May/June 2018 internally-assessed work for AQA Baccalaureate, AQA Certificate (Level 3), Functional Skills, FSMQ (Advanced level) and Level 3 Extended Project
Codes and references
|Qualification type||AQA Certificate (IGCSE)|
|Specification title||Science: Double Award (IGCSE)|
|Guided Learning Hours||240-280|