Controlled Assessment

Loading the video...

Use our helpful resources to assist you in planning and delivering successful controlled assessments in Science. From our step-by-step teacher online standardisation (T-OLS) demo to our free controlled assessment adviser service, you'll find the support you need right here.

Choosing the right controlled assessment

It’s important to choose a controlled assessment from a set that will be valid for moderation in the June series when you intend to certificate the course. Controlled assessment tasks are only valid for submission in one series. Find out which controlled assessments can be used for your subject.

Controlled Assessment Advisers

Each school has an allocated Controlled Assessment Adviser. Many are practicing teachers and moderators so they can give expert advice on the controlled assessments.

If you do not know who your Controlled Assessment Adviser is, please contact the Science team at or by telephone on 01483 477756.

If you have a query related to the administration of the assessments, please contact the Coursework Administration team at .

It’s essential to standardise your marking

Controlled assessments are marked by teachers and measure students' practical science work. It's essential that teachers mark these assessments consistently and to the required standard. To help you do this, we offer a service called Teacher Online Standardisation (T-OLS). This service is free to access and offers exemplars so that you can compare your marking with that of the Principal Moderator. To find out more about the benefits, read our step-by-step guide.

See how to use T-OLs by watching the video below. When you are ready to begin standardising, you can find T-OLS in e-AQA under teacher online standardisation.

Loading the video...