Science hub schools network
Our science hub schools organise free, local events where you can network with other teachers. Join a warm, like-minded community to grow your skills and share your knowledge.
Run by a science specialist, we vary the content of the meetings each term to focus on specific themes. The meetings are run in partnership with our hub schools as twilight sessions, and aim to address local needs and concerns.
Come along to:
- share your experiences and best practice
- discuss teaching ideas and strategies
- hear the latest news from AQA
- use and take away support materials and resources.
Autumn 2017 meetings
This term our autumn hub meetings will cover the following topics:
- balancing the teaching and learning focus of the different assessment objectives with effective practical lessons
- tier of entry decisions
- insight from the summer 2017 exams
- detail on how the awarding process works
- Accompanying materials
Previous meetings and resources
At the summer meetings we discussed data findings from the end of Year 10 tests, including common strengths and weaknesses. We also facilitated discussion groups with supporting materials on various topics to suit local needs.
- Summer hub presentation
- Discussion 1: maths assessments
- Discussion 2: teaching and learning the required practicals
- Discussion 3: meeting the challenge of Combined Science
- Discussion 4: stretch and challenge
The spring meetings provided updates on resources for both GCSE and A-level. We also facilitated discussion groups on high demand questions and maths in science.
- Sample high demand questions
- Summary of the structure of the papers
- A-level Environmental Science information sheet
- Practical work and learning outcomes
The autumn hub meetings gave an overview of the new 9 to 1 GCSE grading structure plus feedback from the summer 2016 exam series, and updates on the A-level monitoring visits. These meetings were also an opportunity for teachers to get a tour of the new functions for Exampro.
Executive summaries for the new GCSE specifications and the exemplars for GCSE Biology, Chemistry and Physics are available to download from e-AQA.
The summer hub meetings provided the opportunity to share effective practice as well as information about the new GCSE science specifications and A-level updates.