About this qualification
Our new Level 1/2 Technical Awards in non-EBacc subjects are ideally suited to learners with a preference for practical, in addition to, theoretical learning. Many of them are tailored towards specific career areas and all have a focus on creativity.
These vocational qualifications fulfil entry requirements for academic and vocational study post-16, and will count as equivalent to one GCSE in the Key Stage 4 performance tables.
Who is this Level 1/2 Technical Award in STEM for?
This qualification is for learners aged 14–16 years old who wish to study STEM in a multidisciplinary manner. They will learn in a way that integrates the different theories of Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths and be assessed in ways that are practical and relevant to STEM industries.
The STEM Technical Award will appeal to learners who have a particular interest in STEM-related careers and wish to enhance their choice of qualifications.
What will learners study?
Learners complete three mandatory units across 120 guided learning hours.
- Unit 1: STEM in industry – Research task (learners will gain a broad experience of five key STEM industries, carry out research into a given area and present their findings).
- Unit 2: Creating a STEM product or service (learners will embark on a project utilising the Fixperts© process – they can use an existing contact within the community or use AQA’s set of resources produced in collaboration with Fixperts©).
- Unit 3: Fundamentals of STEM (completion of this unit will provide learners with the underpinning knowledge and understanding of what STEM is and how it drives the development of products and services in industry).
Will the knowledge and skills developed be useful for further studies?
This Level 1/2 Technical Award in STEM gives learners a whole host of technical transferable skills. They include:
- application of iterative processes
- prototype design and manufacture
- scientific enquiries
- analysis and evaluation
- end-user requirements
- mathematical principles
- the theory of deconstruction to reconstruct.
The knowledge and skills gained from the STEM Technical Award will help to develop transferable skills that will be useful in subjects such as Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths. These skills include communication, problem solving, research and teamwork skills.
Which subjects complement this course best?
This Level 1/2 Technical Award in STEM complements vocational qualifications including Material Technology, IT and Visual Communication.
It's also a great partner for GCSE Sciences, Design and Technology, Engineering, Business Studies, Maths and Computer Science.
Upon completion, learners can progress to other Level 2 qualifications or apprenticeships, to junior roles in STEM industries, or Technical Certificates, Technical Levels, BTEC Level 3 National Diplomas and A-levels.
You can find out about all our Level 1/2 Technical Award qualifications at aqa.org.uk/3765
Support and resources to help you teach
We’ve worked with experienced teachers to provide you with a range of resources that will help you confidently plan, teach and prepare for exams.
Visit aqa.org.uk/3765 to see all our teaching resources. They include:
- schemes of work and lesson plans to help you plan your course with confidence
- exemplar materials to showcase sets of marked students' work supported by senior moderator commentaries and guidance
- learner textbooks that have been checked by AQA
- training courses to help you deliver AQA qualifications
- teacher standardisation (T-OLS) system to help work through exemplar and standardisation material quickly and easily
- subject expertise courses for all teachers, from newly-qualified teachers to experienced teachers looking for fresh inspiration.
Preparing for exams
Visit aqa.org.uk/3765 for everything you need to prepare for our exams, including:
- past papers, mark schemes and examiners’ reports
- specimen papers and mark schemes for new courses
- exemplar learner answers with examiner commentaries.
Analyse your learners' results with Enhanced Results Analysis (ERA)
Find out which questions proved the most challenging, how the results compare to previous years' and where your learners need to improve. ERA, our free online results analysis tool, will help you see where to focus your teaching. Register at aqa.org.uk/era
For information about results, including maintaining standards over time, grade boundaries and our post-results services, visit aqa.org.uk/results
Keep your skills up-to-date with professional development
Wherever you are in your career, there’s always something new to learn. As well as subject specific training, we offer a range of courses to help boost your skills.
- Improve your teaching skills in areas including differentiation, teaching literacy and meeting Ofsted requirements.
- Prepare for a new role with our leadership and management courses.
You can attend a course at venues around the country, in your school or online – whatever suits your needs and availability. Find out more at coursesandevents.aqa.org.uk
Help and support
Visit our website for information, guidance, support and resources at aqa.org.uk/3765
If you'd like us to share news and information about this qualification, sign up for emails and updates at aqa.org.uk/from-2017
Alternatively, you can call or email our subject team direct.
T: 01483 477756
This draft qualification has not yet been accredited by the Department for Education (DfE) or the Council for Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment in Northern Ireland (CEA). It is published to enable teachers to have early sight of our proposed approach to Level 1/2 Technical Award in STEM. Further changes may be required and no assurance can be given that this proposed qualification will be made available in its current form, or that it will be accredited in time for first teaching in September 2017 and first award in August 2019.