Published Friday 12 Nov 2021%
2021 and 2022 exam changes
Subject changes for 2022
Find out more about these decisions and what they mean for your subject.
Grading in autumn 2021 and summer 2022
Ofqual has also confirmed its plans for grading standards for both autumn 2021 and summer 2022.
In a blog they explain their plan for a fair and gradual return to pre-pandemic grading standards.
- For the autumn 2021 series, exam boards will look to align with summer 2021. The only exception is for Functional skills and EPQ, which will be a transition year to reflect that we’re in a pandemic recovery period.
- Summer 2022 will be a transition year to reflect that we’re in a pandemic recovery period.
- In 2023, Ofqual will aim to return to results that are in line with those in pre-pandemic years.
Results days in 2022
Summer 2022 results days will be one week apart as usual.
- Thursday 18 August – AS, A-levels and similar VTQs
- Thursday 25 August – GCSEs and similar VTQs
We hope exams will be able to go ahead as planned next summer. But in case they can't, Ofqual and the DfE have confirmed the contingency arrangements for summer 2022 GCSE, AS and A-level exams.
These arrangements include using grades provided by schools and colleges for GCSEs, AS and A-levels.
Ofqual has published detailed guidance on these contingency arrangements, as well as publishing open letters to schools, students and private candidates. The Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) has also published some frequently asked questions.
In addition, the DfE has published separate guidance on the contingency plans for VTQs.
These changes are for 2022 only. Read our news story about the contingency arrangements.
- DfE and Ofqual contingency arrangements have been published for GCSEs, AS and A-levels in 2022 only
- Autumn exams will take place. Information available for general and non-general qualifications
- Advance information will be available for most exams in 2022. The Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) has published guidance for teachers and students on the use of this information
Connect with us
Exams officers can contact our customer services team by:
+44 161 696 5995 outside the UK
Our opening hours are:
8am–5pm Monday to Friday
Parents and students should contact their school or college in the first instance.