Published Friday 14 May 2021%
2021 exam changes
Get ready for grading – support for teachers
We’re doing all we can to give teachers the support they need, to become more confident in grading students. We’ve created a programme to boost teachers’ confidence, where they feel they need it, and guide them towards grading students for summer 2021.
Find grade exemplification and other support materials, assessment materials and more.
Fees for summer 2021
We know you may have questions about why we still need to charge entry fees when there are no exams.
Appeals and post-results services in summer 2021
There will be some changes to appeals and post-results services in summer 2021.
- Schools won’t be charged for appeals
- Post-results services will only be available to Functional Skills students who took exams.
To learn more, JCQ have provided an overview of appeals for summer 2021 in their Guidance on the Determination of Grades document. And we’ll publish more information about appeals as soon as we can.
JCQ has published guidance about determining grades this summer
The Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) has published guidance about determining grades this summer.
Key dates for 2021
We've laid out all the key dates and deadlines for awarding grades this year. Find out when things happen in 2021.
Non-exam assessment (NEA)
Where it’s possible and safe, students should continue with their NEA. Students’ grades and endorsements need to be submitted to us by 18 June.
Applied General Science and General Business to receive an estimated mark
Certificating Applied General Science and Applied General Business students in the January 2021 series will receive an estimated (back-calculated) mark for any units taken in summer 2020.
- We’ve published information about how fees are being used this summer
- Creating a range of evidence for your subject – videos and written guidance now available
- Grade exemplifications now available in Get ready for grading – our comprehensive support programme for teachers
- Assessment materials for summer 2021 available in Centre Services and Secure Key Materials
- Ofqual guidance now available to help teachers make objective judgements
- Schools should keep students' work to support quality assurance processes and appeals
Connect with us
Exams officers can contact our customer services team by:
+44 161 696 5995 outside the UK
Our opening hours are:
8am–5pm Monday to Friday
Parents and students should contact their school or college in the first instance.