2021 exam changes
Get ready for grading
We’ve created a programme to boost your confidence and guide you towards grading your students in summer 2021.
Use these alongside our comprehensive assessment materials (made up of sets of questions and their mark schemes) and mapping grids to help you choose the right questions for your students based on what they have been taught.
Gathering a range of evidence for grading: a step-by-step guide
Our full programme of support
As part of Get ready for grading programme to support teachers of GCSE, AS and A-level subjects, we’re giving you:
- quick links to the latest guidance from Ofqual and JCQ with regular email updates and supporting video guidance for your subject
- free training in centre-level standardisation and moderation and mark scheme training
- easy access to our friendly customer service team and our subject experts.
Using these materials is optional. You can use them to either add to your range of evidence, or help confirm your grading decisions.
See what's available for Vocational, Technical and other qualifications.
Key considerations when putting together evidence and deciding grades (new from 26 April)
To help you navigate this summer’s approach to assessment, we’ve created videos and written guidance – based on JCQ’s guidance – to guide you through this term and help you feel more confident grading your students.
Grading exemplification materials add more context to the grade descriptors released earlier in April, bringing them to life with real examples of student work, and commentary from experienced teachers involved in setting the standard each year.
Find these materials in:
- Centre Services – go to tab ‘Resources’ then ‘Assessment and Training’ and choose your subject area.
- e-AQA – go to SKM and you'll find these materials in the folder 'Assessment Resources'.
Get assessment and support materials
Find materials for your subject
Vocational, Technical and other qualifications
VTQs and non-general qualifications that have examined units can also access a support package of materials.
They vary slightly in content from the package for GCSEs, AS and A-levels as in some cases, past papers and topic selection may not be applicable or relevant.
Find assessment materials for:
- Applied Generals – Science and Business specifications
- Tech-levels – Engineering, Entertainment Technology, IT and Business
- Further Maths
- Certificate of Maths
- Performing Arts Technical award.
Additional guidance for Tech-levels
We’re producing additional guidance to help apply Tech-level mark schemes consistently but there are no example student answers and commentaries for these. Mark Scheme Application guidance for Tech-levels are available to download from our website.
- We've published information about how fees are being used this summer
- Schools should keep students' work to support quality assurance processes and appeals
- Autumn exams will take place. Information available for general and non-general qualifications
Connect with us
Exams officers can contact our customer services team by:
+44 161 696 5995 outside the UK
Our opening hours are:
8am–5pm Monday to Friday
Parents and students should contact their school or college in the first instance.