Published Tuesday 10 May 2022
2022 exam changes
2022 exam changes
Grading in the summer 2022 exam series
- Summer 2022 will be a transition year to reflect that we’re in a pandemic recovery period. There will be more generous grading of exams this year compared to a normal exam year.
- In 2023, Ofqual will aim to return to results that are in line with those in pre-pandemic years.
What this means for summer 2022
As we move back to pre-pandemic standards, overall results will be lower than in 2021 when teacher-assessed grades were used, but higher than in 2019 when summer exams were last held.
- The approach exam boards take to grading will reflect a midpoint between summer 2019 and 2021.
- Results will look different to summer 2021, because the nature of the assessment is different – so it’ll be more meaningful to make comparisons with 2019 results, because this is when exams were last sat.
- Results in summer 2022 will be higher than when summer exams were last sat (in 2019), but lower than in 2021, when grades were awarded by teacher assessment.
- Schools’ and colleges’ results are highly likely to be lower than in 2021 when exams did not go ahead. This means very few schools or colleges, if any, will get higher results than in 2021.
- As in any year, there will be an important role for examiner judgement in grading. After marking is complete, senior examiners will review the quality of student work over a range of marks, before recommending grade boundaries based on all of the available evidence.
Results days in 2022
- Thursday 18 August – AS, A-levels and similar VTQs
- Thursday 25 August – GCSEs and similar VTQs
Qualifications with no changes for 2022
- Level 1 and Level 2 Project
- Extended Project (EPQ)
- ELC Step up to English
- ELC Maths
- Functional Skills English
- Functional Skills Maths
We’ve recently added advance information for the November 2022 exams in GCSE Maths and English Language.
Use the dropdown menu below to find advance information and other changes for your subjects.
Find changes for your subject
You can also read our summary and guidance on advance information.
- All exams have now taken place for this summer
- Ofqual have published more information about grading standards for summer 2022
- Advance information for summer 2022 will remain available until after results
Connect with us
Exams officers can contact our customer services team by:
+44 161 696 5995 outside the UK
Our opening hours are:
8am–5pm Monday to Friday
Parents and students should contact their school or college in the first instance.