Do I qualify?

To apply to be an examiner or moderator, you must have:

  • at least three full terms (eg September to July) recent teaching experience (within the last three years) in the subject and level that you’re applying to mark
  • appropriate academic qualifications in the subject. This usually means a degree and teaching qualification, or equivalent
  • a private PC or laptop with Windows 7 or later, and broadband access in your home. You may be able to complete some of your allocated marking at your school or college, as long as your centre meets our confidentiality conditions and you have permission from your employer
  • a referee: your current or most recent head of school or college, or head of department
  • UK residency (for paper-based marking) or UK or EEA residency (for online marking). More on this below

Qualified teachers who have a number of years' examining experience with a recognised awarding body but no longer work in a school or college are also encouraged to apply. The examining experience you have needs to be within the last three years in the subject and at the level you're applying to mark. In this instance, you'll need to supply a referee from the awarding body you most recently worked for.

If you're applying to be a visiting examiner or moderator and you're successful, you'll need to fill in a Child Safeguarding Declaration Form.

We welcome teachers from other exam boards, so you don’t need to be teaching an AQA specification. The exception to this is if you’re applying to become a visiting moderator – in this case, you’ll need to be teaching or have recently taught our specification.

You’ll need to be available for standardisation online or at a meeting, usually up to a week after the exam date. Marking takes around 21 days and can feel quite intensive, so it helps if you:

  • keep evenings and weekends free during the marking period
  • plan your work and organise yourself: you’ll need to set a target each day and keep to it
  • let friends and family know you’ll be busy, and keep in regular touch with your team leader.

Applicants outside the UK

For data security reasons, we can only accept applications from countries in the EEA (EU countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) and countries that the European Commission has decided have an adequate level of protection for personal data. The full list of these countries is on the ICO’s Sending personal data outside the European Economic Area page.

We can only pay fees and expenses into UK bank accounts, and they’ll be converted from your local currency into sterling using the exchange rate on the date of the receipt. We don’t pay for travel between countries, even if we agree you can do the work in a different country from where you live.