Why choose AQA for GCSE Computer Science
We’ve worked closely with teachers to develop a new GCSE Computer Science specification that’s as inspiring to teach as it is to learn. This specification recognises the well-established methodologies of computing, alongside the technological advances which make it such a dynamic subject.
We’ve built on the most popular aspects of our current specification and added fresh features including a computational thinking exam to provide an academically challenging programme of study for students of all ability levels. You can choose from a range of programming languages for the programming project, enabling you to tailor your specification to the strengths and preferences of you and your students.
Our exam papers retain our commitment to clear wording and structure, helping students to progress through each paper with confidence.
Students will complete this course equipped with the logical and computational skills necessary to succeed at A-level, the workplace or beyond.
As part of our ongoing commitment to provide excellent support, you’ll see we’ve created fantastic free teaching resources and can offer great value professional development courses. We’re also collaborating with publishers to ensure you have engaging and easy-to-use textbooks.
You can find out about all our Computer Science qualifications at aqa.org.uk/computer-science
Support and resources to help you teach
We’ve worked with experienced teachers to provide you with a range of resources that will help you confidently plan, teach and prepare for exams.
Visit aqa.org.uk/8520 to see all our teaching resources. They include:
- specimen papers and mark schemes to show the standards required and how your students’ papers will be marked
- dedicated subject advisors and exemplar specimens to guide you through the programming project
- sample schemes of work and lesson plans to help you plan your course with confidence
- a range of easy-to-use, AQA approved textbooks
- a phone and email based subject team to support you in the delivery of the specification
- excellent professional development opportunities for those just starting out or the more experienced, looking for fresh inspiration
- training courses to help you deliver our computer science qualifications
- subject expertise courses for all teachers, from newly-qualified teachers who are just getting started to experienced teachers looking for fresh inspiration.
Preparing for exams
Visit aqa.org.uk/8520 for everything you need to prepare for our exams, including:
- past papers, mark schemes and examiners’ reports
- specimen papers and mark schemes for new courses
- Exampro: a searchable bank of past AQA exam questions
- exemplar student answers with examiner commentaries.
Analyse your students' results with Enhanced Results Analysis (ERA)
Find out which questions were the most challenging, how the results compare to previous years and where your students need to improve. ERA, our free online results analysis tool, will help you see where to focus your teaching. Register at aqa.org.uk/era
For information about results, including maintaining standards over time, grade boundaries and our post-results services, visit aqa.org.uk/results
Keep your skills up-to-date with professional development
Wherever you are in your career, there’s always something new to learn. As well as subject-specific training, we offer a range of courses to help boost your skills.
- Improve your teaching skills in areas including differentiation, teaching literacy and meeting Ofsted requirements.
- Prepare for a new role with our leadership and management courses.
You can attend a course at venues around the country, in your school or online – whatever suits your needs and availability. Find out more at coursesandevents.aqa.org.uk
Help and support available
Visit our website for information, guidance, support and resources at aqa.org.uk/8520
If you'd like us to share news and information about this qualification, sign up for emails and updates at aqa.org.uk/keepinformed-computer-science
Alternatively, you can call or email our subject team direct.
T: 0161 957 3980