This subject content should be taught within a range of realistic contexts based around the major themes in the specification. To gain the most from the specification, a number of the sections will benefit from being taught holistically. For example, algorithms could be taught alongside programming techniques as there is a close relationship between them.
The specification content in Sections 3.1–3.7 is presented in a two-column format. The left hand column contains the specification content that all students must cover, and that is assessed in the written papers. The right hand column exemplifies the additional information that teachers will require to ensure that their students study the topic in an appropriate depth and, where appropriate, gives teachers the parameters in which the subject will be assessed.
For the programming project we will support the following programming languages:
- C#, C++, C
- Python (versions 3 and 2)
Subject content areas
- 3.1 Fundamentals of algorithms
- 3.2 Programming
- 3.3 Fundamentals of data representation
- 3.4 Computer systems
- 3.5 Fundamentals of computer networks
- 3.6 Fundamentals of cyber security
- 3.7 Ethical, legal and environmental impacts of digital technology on wider society, including issues of privacy
- 3.8 Aspects of software development
- 3.9 Programming project