Why choose AQA for A-level Dance
An exciting and diverse specification, accessible for all
A-level Dance is a dynamic qualification which encourages students to develop their creative and intellectual capacity, alongside transferable skills such as team working, communication and problem solving. All of these are sought after skills by higher education and employers and will help them stand out in the workplace whatever their choice of career.
This specification reflects both historical and current dance practices, making it more relevant, and inspires a lifelong passion and appreciation for dance.
We recognise the role of dance in young people’s lives and your students will be able to study a range of dance styles. We’ve set relevant and exciting sources for all choreography and broadened our areas of study. Students can perform and choreograph in a style of their choice for the group work, providing it meets the assessment criteria.
We’ve also taken care to ensure the assessment structure will give students of all abilities the chance to excel.
Assessments are clear, well-structured and easy to understand. Exam questions take a variety of styles; this helps to build students’ confidence and gives them the opportunity to be accurately and fairly awarded marks.
Marking you can trust
Your students will receive the grade that fairly represents their achievement and skills.
Clear progression to higher education and beyond
We’ve bridged the gap between AS, A-level and higher education providers, giving your students the skills and experience to better prepare them for the demands of higher education or the workplace.
You can find out about all our dance qualifications at aqa.org.uk/dance
Support and resources to help you teach
We’ve worked with experienced teachers to provide you with a range of resources that will help you confidently plan, teach and prepare for exams.
Visit aqa.org.uk/7237 to see all our teaching resources. They include:
- schemes of work: a variety of ideas across all titles to help you plan your course with confidence
- good practice guides: that will help you to inspire and challenge students to think creatively
- exemplification materials: that showcase sets of marked students' work supported by examiner commentaries and guidance.
- Training courses: to help you deliver AQA dance qualifications.
- Subject expertise courses: for all teachers, from newly-qualified teachers who are just getting started to experienced teachers looking for fresh inspiration.
- Dance advisory service: each school or college is allocated a subject adviser. You can contact them for one-to-one advice on any aspect of the subject, assessment and/or support with planning and delivery of course content.
- Subject community: provides access to free resources and services offered by many dance organisations and universities.
- Support meetings: to help you with course delivery; offering practical teaching strategies and approaches that really work.
- Teacher network group: this group has been set up to allow teachers to contact colleagues at other centres to share ideas about resources and teaching strategies for the AQA specification.
To find out more about our support service visit aqa.org.uk/dance
Preparing for exams
Visit aqa.org.uk/7237 for everything you need to prepare for our exams, including:
- past papers, mark schemes and examiners’ reports
- specimen papers and mark schemes for new courses
- exemplar student answers with examiner commentaries.
Analyse your students' results with Enhanced Results Analysis (ERA)
Find out which questions were the most challenging, how the results compare to previous years and where your students need to improve. ERA, our free online results analysis tool, will help you see where to focus your teaching. Register at aqa.org.uk/era
For information about results, including maintaining standards over time, grade boundaries and our post-results services, visit aqa.org.uk/results
Keep your skills up-to-date with professional development
Wherever you are in your career, there’s always something new to learn. As well as subject-specific training, we offer a range of courses to help boost your skills.
- Improve your teaching skills in areas including differentiation, teaching literacy and meeting Ofsted requirements.
- Prepare for a new role with our leadership and management courses.
You can attend a course at venues around the country, in your school or online – whatever suits your needs and availability. Find out more at coursesandevents.aqa.org.uk
Help and support available
Visit our website for information, guidance, support and resources at aqa.org.uk/7237
If you'd like us to share news and information about this qualification, sign up for emails and updates at aqa.org.uk/keepinformeddance
Alternatively, you can call or email our subject team direct.
T: 01483 437 750