Changes for 2021
Following Ofqual’s announcement on summer 2021, here are the changes you need to know about.
Please bear in mind that these changes apply to summer 2021 only.
Component 1 - Performance
- Students will perform a solo dance of between one and a half minutes and three minutes.
- Students will perform a dance as either a solo or as a group (up to four dancers). As a solo they will have one and a half minutes to four minutes, as a group they will have between two and four minutes.
- Changes have been made to the 'performance within a quarter assessment grid' (4.5 Assessment grids). This is so it can also be used to assess solo and group performances (up to 4 dancers). The revised assessment grid is available on e-AQA.
- Component 1 will be examined by post. We’ll publish details about how to submit work.
Component 1 – Choreography
- For between two and four minutes students will choreograph a dance for one to five dancers.
- The ‘group choreography assessment grid’ (4.5 Assessment grids) has been amended. It can now be used to assess solo choreographies. The revised assessment grid is available on e-AQA.
- We will only be able to accept audio-visual recordings as evidence of complete performances (as we currently do).
- Students or someone else can perform the choreography.
No other changes
There are no planned changes to Component 2 – Critical engagement.
The choreography papers are available on e-AQA as normal.
The minimum and maximum time penalty will apply as normal to the new minimum time requirement. The size of the reduction will be proportionate to the severity of the timing infringement, starting with 5% of the total available raw mark for work.
The component weightings remain the same and all components are examined by AQA.
Help and support
Please contact your NEA adviser for further support on conducting the NEA.
If you don’t know who your NEA adviser is, your exams officer will have these details, or you can contact us.