Changes for 2021
Following Ofqual’s announcement about changes to assessment in summer 2021, here are the changes you need to know for AS Drama and Theatre.
Please note: these changes only apply to assessments being completed this academic year.
Component 2 – Process and performance
- Students will now be able to complete a monologue for this component.
- We’ve reduced the timing requirements to one and a half minutes (monologue) and three minutes (duologue/group).
- We’ll allow students to submit alternative evidence where it hasn’t been possible to produce a recording of a final performance.
- We’ll make amendments to the mark schemes to allow for the monologue, shorter performances that may not be able to apply the methods of a practitioner fully, and to allow alternative evidence to be submitted.
- We’ve reduced the number of extracts required from two to one. However, we’ll accept all submissions and mark all work (whether one or two extracts have been explored).
No other changes
There are no planned changes to the Component 1 written exam.
The minimum time penalty will apply as normal to the new minimum time requirements.
The component weightings, play approval process for Component 2 and moderation process for component 2 all remain the same.
Help and support
Please contact your NEA adviser for further support on conducting the NEA.
If you don’t know who your NEA adviser is, your exams officer will have these details, or you can contact us.