English hub schools network
Join your local community of teaching colleagues, our experts and subject associates.
In this video, watch how a local hub meeting inspired a department and changed a teacher’s career.
Come along to discuss strategies, best practice, share resources and exchange experiences with your local English teaching community.
Spring 2019: GCSE English Language
The session is a focus on GCSE English Language paper 2 question 2, question 4 and question 5. The session will offer support for teachers who are reflecting on teaching approaches to these question types and share strategies that work well.
Spring 2019: A-level English Language
The focus for these hub meetings is A-level English Language; the meetings will provide you with resources to use with students to develop their understanding of two key areas: Language Development on paper 1 and Language Discourses for paper 2.
The session will provide focus on:
- 'Ideas from language study' – ways to develop understanding of what is required for AO2.
- Language development – working with concepts and data to improve exam performance.
- Language discourses – developing understanding of what 'discourses' are and why they matter.
- Language discourses – focused text analysis to develop students responses on Paper 2 Section B.
- Language resources – ideas for engaging students with wider reading around the subject.
We also offer a range of professional development and training courses to help you teach our specifications. Browse our current courses
Previous meetings and resources
View and download resources and materials from recent English hub schools network meetings below.
To see resources and materials from older meetings, go to our archive page
Autumn 2018: GCSE English Literature
- Presentation slides: Concepts of cultural capital and cultural allusions within the GCSE English Literature texts
- Activities booklet: GCSE English Literature case study
Autumn 2018: A-level English Literature A and B
- Presentation slides: English Literature A and B NEA
- Activities booklet: Approaches to A-level English Literature NEA
Summer 2018: GCSE English Language and GCSE English Literature
Spring 2018: GCSE English Language
- Presentation slides: Focus on Paper 1 and Paper 2
- Activities booklet: Writing for Paper 1 and Paper 2
Spring 2018: A-level English Language and Literature
- Presentation slides: Exploring meaning, context and making connections
- Activities booklet: Sample response extracts and commentaries