Changes for 2021
Following Ofqual’s announcement about changes to assessment in summer 2021, here are the changes you need to know for AS Geography.
- Fieldwork is not required.
- There will be no questions about student’s own fieldwork experience in the exam.
Please note: these changes only apply to assessments being completed this academic year.
Fieldwork not required
Students do not need to complete two days of fieldwork.
This means you do not need to submit a centre declaration form to say that students have been given the opportunity to undertake fieldwork.
Whilst it is not required, we still encourage you to plan and deliver as much fieldwork as possible.
Familiar fieldwork questions removed
Question relating to students’ own fieldwork experience (familiar fieldwork) will be removed from Section B in 7036/2 Paper 2 - Human geography and geography fieldwork investigation.
The total number of marks available for the 7036/2 paper will reduce from 80 to 65 marks (a removal of 15 marks).
The total time allocation for the 7036/2 paper will reduce from 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes.
Unfamiliar fieldwork questions remain
Questions set in an unfamiliar fieldwork context will remain in Section B of 7036/2 Paper 2 - Human geography and geography fieldwork investigation.
You do not need to cover both physical and human geography contexts.
Students must understand the fieldwork enquiry process (3.4 Geography fieldwork investigation) in order to apply their understanding to questions set in an unfamiliar fieldwork context.
No other changes
- There are no other planned changes to the content or assessments for AS Geography
- Paper 1: Physical Geography and people and the environment will be assessed as normal.
- Section A within Paper 2: Human geography and geography fieldwork investigation will be assessed as normal.
- Any questions within Section B of Paper 2 related to unfamiliar fieldwork will be assessed as normal.
Help and support
Explore past CPD event materials on Secure Key Materials on e-AQA (speak to your exams officer if you do not have a login).
If you require further guidance please contact us.