Why choose AQA for A-level French
You can find out about all our French qualifications at aqa.org.uk/french
Specifications designed for you and your students
We have worked with teachers and universities to design stimulating content to enable students to develop their linguistic skills alongside their understanding of the culture and society of countries where French is spoken.
We've selected a broad area of study and prescribed certain aspects for closer examination.
Students study technological and social change, looking at diversity and the benefits it brings. They will study highlights of French-speaking artistic culture, including francophone music and cinema, and learn about political engagement and who wields political power in the French-speaking world.
Students also explore the influence of the past on present-day French-speaking communities. Throughout their studies, they will learn the language in the context of French-speaking countries and the issues and influences which have shaped them. Students will study texts and film and have the opportunity to carry out independent research on an area of their choice.
Assessment tasks will be varied and cover listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
Teach AS and A-level together
The AS course is fully co-teachable with the first year of the A-level course, enabling flexibility for students as they plan their course of study and for teachers as you plan your teaching.
Support and resources to help you teach
We’ve worked with experienced teachers to provide you with a range of resources that will help you confidently plan, teach and prepare for exams.
Visit aqa.org.uk/7652 to see all our teaching resources. They include:
- a digital scheme of work with links to resources which you can use to teach the various grammar points at appropriate places in the course
- marked student responses to the questions on our sample assessments, with examiner commentaries
- resources to help you deliver lessons on film and literature
- guidance and support for conducting the oral exams
- practice translations with mark schemes
- student textbooks and digital resources that have been checked and approved by AQA
- training courses to help you deliver AQA French qualifications
- subject expertise courses for all teachers, from newly-qualified teachers who are just getting started to experienced teachers looking for fresh inspiration.
Preparing for exams
Visit aqa.org.uk/7652 for everything you need to prepare for our exams, including:
- past papers, mark schemes and examiners’ reports
- specimen papers and mark schemes for new courses
- Exampro: a searchable bank of past AQA exam questions
- exemplar student answers with examiner commentaries.
Analyse your students' results with Enhanced Results Analysis (ERA)
Find out which questions were the most challenging, how the results compare to previous years and where your students need to improve. ERA, our free online results analysis tool, will help you see where to focus your teaching. Register at aqa.org.uk/era
For information about results, including maintaining standards over time, grade boundaries and our post-results services, visit aqa.org.uk/results
Keep your skills up-to-date with professional development
Wherever you are in your career, there’s always something new to learn. As well as subject-specific training, we offer a range of courses to help boost your skills.
- Improve your teaching skills in areas including differentiation, teaching literacy and meeting Ofsted requirements.
- Prepare for a new role with our leadership and management courses.
You can attend a course at venues around the country, in your school or online – whatever suits your needs and availability. Find out more at coursesandevents.aqa.org.uk
Help and support available
Visit our website for information, guidance, support and resources at aqa.org.uk/7652
If you'd like us to share news and information about this qualification, sign up for emails and updates at aqa.org.uk/keepinformedmfl
Alternatively, you can call or email our subject team direct.
T: 01423 534 381