Specification at a glance
The Pure Core makes up two-thirds of the AS and A-level qualification and provides the techniques in algebra, geometry, trigonometry and calculus that form the fundamental building blocks of the subject. Mathematical applications make up the remaining third of the qualification and there are various options to suit the particular needs of individual students. The applications fall into three strands:
- Decision – networks, algorithms, sorting
- Mechanics – forces, energy, motion
- Statistics – probability, data handling, testing hypotheses.
Students can focus on one strand or study a mixture of any two.
The full Maths A-level is made up of six units – three at AS and three at A2.
- May be assessed through six different combinations of units.
- Has optional coursework in Statistics 1.
- Maximum duration of exams is 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Graphics calculator allowed in all units except Pure Core 1.