Separate examinations for MS1 and SS1
We are pleased to let you know that AQA A-level Statistics and A-level Maths will now have separate exams for SS1A/B in A-level Statistics and for the corresponding unit in A-level Maths (unit MS1A/B). This will allow students who take both AQA A-level Statistics and A-level Maths the opportunity to enter for both exams in the same exam series.
From the June 2014 exam series onwards this change will offer students studying both A-level Statistics and A-level Maths more flexibility as to when they enter exams and will allow for re-sit opportunities.
Therefore students can now enter for the following combinations in the same examination series:
MS1B and SS1B.
The following combinations will still not be accepted in the same examination series:
SS1A and SS1B.
Please note that for the rule change to be possible it has been necessary to separate the exam papers, so the SS1A or SS1B paper will no longer be the same as the MS1A or MS1B paper.
- the subject content for both units (SS1A/B and MS1A/B) remains unchanged
- MS1A/B are now separate exams from SS1A/B
- the question papers will be independent of one another, so the content of one has no bearing on the content of the other
- the SS1A/B and MS1A/B exams will not necessarily be held at the same time in the exam timetable and this should be managed closely to make sure students attend the correct examination.
- The result from SS1A/B exam can only be used in the Statistics qualification, and the MS1A/B exam result can only be used in the Maths/ Further Maths qualification. It is not possible to use the results from the SS1A/B exam in Maths/Further Maths, and it is also not possible to use the MS1A/B exam result in Statistics.
If you have any questions please contact the A-level Maths team by email firstname.lastname@example.org.