Changes for 2021
This page may be out of dateThe Government announced on 6 January that exams won’t go ahead as normal in summer 2021, so some of this information may change. We’ll update this page as soon as further detail becomes available.
Read about 2021 exam changes
Following Ofqual’s announcement about changes to assessment in summer 2021, here’s what you need to know for A-level Physical Education.
Please bear in mind that these changes apply to assessments being completed this academic year.
Moderation by post
This year we’ll be moderating by post. There’ll be no moderation visits and work will be moderated using video evidence of students’ performances.
Evidence requirements for practical performance
- We will require evidence for at least one area of assessment. If your cohort size is 20 or fewer we will need evidence for all students. If your cohort size is greater than 20 we will need evidence for 20 students.
- We accept that the level of challenge demonstrated by video evidence may not be what we would expect given the issues around playing in competitive sport at the present time.
- We will be accepting supplementary forms of evidence to support video evidence. We will be publishing more detailed guidance regarding what this might look like and how it can be assessed. It may take the form of written statements from teachers/coaches, formal records of competitive performance times etc. The support materials available in TOLs will be updated to exemplify how this works in practice.
- We will require schools and colleges to adhere to the latest National Governing Body guidance as to how sports can be played in a coronavirus-secure way.
- We will be publishing further guidance on possible adaptations to competitive context to help with the gathering of evidence.
Moderation of practical performance
We will be using postal moderation for summer 2021.
- We are not anticipating that the timelines for submitting marks and for moderation to take place will change.
- You should submit your marks using the PE centre marks and moderation spreadsheet to your moderator and AQA between 15 February – 15 May 2021.
- Upon receipt of your spreadsheet your moderator will contact you within three working days to request the work.
- You will have two weeks to post all your video evidence, written NEA, plus any supplementary evidence to your allocated moderator. We will publish more guidance on this as soon as we can.
- Please only send work to your moderator once it's been requested.
- If you feel that you’re unable to meet the evidence requirements, we will publish more guidance to help with this soon.
- The spreadsheet which you use to send us your marks for the NEA will be amended so that you’re able to tell us what evidence you have available for your students.
Please note – should there be any industry wide changes to the exam timetables for summer 2021 as a result of Ofqual/JCQ regulation, these dates may be subject to change.
No other changes
There are no other planned changes to our AS and A-level Physical Education assessments.
- The written element of the NEA, the performance analysis assessment, is still a requirement of the specification.
- Students will be examined on the theoretical content of the specification in the usual way.
Please note that the new activities which have been added to the specification for first teaching in September 2020 can be assessed in summer 2021 for AS only.
Help and support
Further detailed information about the summer 2021 moderation process will be provided soon.
If you have any questions or need support, please contact us.