Why choose AQA for AS and A-level Physics
Relevant in the classroom and the real world
We involved over a thousand teachers in developing these specifications, to ensure that the subject content is relevant to real world experiences and is interesting to teach and learn. We’ve also presented it in a straightforward way, giving you the freedom to teach in the way that works for your students.
These Physics specifications are a stepping stone to future study, which is why we also consulted universities, to ensure these specifications allow students to develop the skills that they want to see.
This approach has led to specifications that will support you to inspire students, nurture a passion for Physics and lay the groundwork for further study in science or engineering.
The way you teach – your choice
Our specifications have been written in a context-free style. This means that you can select the contexts and applications that you feel bring the subject alive. We have also produced a range of excellent teaching resources that you can use alongside your own material.
The AS and A-level courses allow for a choice of starting points. You can choose a familiar starting point for students, such as mechanics, or begin with fresh topics to create interest and a new dimension to their knowledge, such as particle physics.
- Medical physics
- Turning points in physics
- Engineering physics (re-branded Applied physics)
Practical at the heart of science
Like you, we believe that Physics is fundamentally an experimental subject. These specifications provide numerous opportunities to use practical experiences to link theory to reality, and equip students with the essential practical skills they need.
Teach AS and A-level together
We’ve ensured that the AS and A-level are fully co-teachable. The AS exams include similar questions to those in the A-level, with less difficulty.
We’ve created our A-level content with our GCSE in mind to make sure that there is a seamless progression between qualifications. We’ve also followed ASE guidance on use of scientific terminology across our science subjects.
- specified content tested in each of the first two papers at A-level to help students prepare for their exams
- a variety of assessment styles within each paper so students can confidently engage with the questions
- multiple choice questions are included to allow for a wide breadth of Physics from the specifications to be tested
With us, your students will get the results they deserve, from the exam board you trust.
You can find out about all our science qualifications at aqa.org.uk/science.
Support and resources to help you teach
We know that support and resources are vital for your teaching and that you have limited time to find or develop good quality materials. So we’ve worked with experienced teachers to provide you with a range of resources that will help you confidently plan, teach and prepare for exams.
We have too many Physics resources to list here so visit aqa.org.uk/7408 to see them all. They include:
- additional practice papers to help students prepare for exams
- guidance on how to plan both the AS and A-level courses with supporting schemes of work for co-teaching
- several AQA-approved student textbooks reviewed by experienced senior examiners
- guidance on maths skills requirements with additional support via Exampro
- resources to support key topics (including the optional topics), with detailed lesson plans written by experienced teachers
- training courses to help you deliver AQA Physics qualifications
- subject expertise courses for all teachers, from newly-qualified teachers who are just getting started to experienced teachers looking for fresh inspiration.
Preparing for exams
Visit aqa.org.uk/7408 for everything you need to prepare for our exams, including:
- past papers, mark schemes and examiners’ reports
- specimen papers and mark schemes for new courses
- Exampro: a searchable bank of past AQA exam questions
- exemplar student answers with examiner commentaries.
Keep your skills up to date with professional development
Wherever you are in your career, there’s always something new to learn. As well as subject-specific training, we offer a range of courses to help boost your skills.
- Improve your teaching skills in areas including differentiation, teaching literacy and meeting Ofsted requirements.
- Prepare for a new role with our leadership and management courses.
You can attend a course at venues around the country, in your school or online – whatever suits your needs and availability. Find out more at coursesandevents.aqa.org.uk
Get help and support
Visit our website for information, guidance, support and resources at aqa.org.uk/7408
You can talk directly to the Physics subject team:
T: 01483 477 756