2021 exam changes
Consultation decisions: VTQs in 2022
Published:Monday 9 Aug 2021
The Department for Education (DfE) and Ofqual have published their decisions on the arrangements for Vocational, Technical and Other Qualifications (VTQs) in 2022 to help reduce the impact of disruption to students’ education.
Summary of arrangements for VTQs in 2022 only
- The grades for next year's VTQs will be decided using exams and other assessments, rather than assessed grades.
- Any adaptations from last year will be carried forward into 2021/2022.
- We’re considering further adaptations in some qualifications to align them with GCSEs and A-levels in 2022 – details will be available as soon as possible.
- For performance table qualifications:
- All content of the qualifications should be taught. For Functional skills, this should cover all levels
- Internal assessments (tasks and any evidence generated by students who weren’t able to receive an assessed grade this summer) can be carried forward. New students should complete a new task, where made available
- For mid-flight learners, a student who has received an assessed grade in either 2020 and 2021 will be able to carry this result forward
- Retakes – up to two retake opportunities for external assessments will be allowed for Applied Generals and Tech Awards (our Tech levels will not be available after the January 2022 series, so this will be the last remaining retake opportunity available). However, results based on assessed grades will not count as a retake opportunity.
- Requirements for exams, synoptic assessment and employer engagement will continue to apply as set out in the DfE Technical Guidance.
- For functional skills, additional guidance will be given
- about the distribution and collection/quarantining of papers before and after use
- for individuals involved in exam delivery, for example invigilators, readers and/or scribes.
The DfE and Ofqual will also be announcing contingency plans in the autumn term, in case exams can't go ahead as planned.
Connect with us
Exams officers can contact our customer services team by:
+44 161 696 5995 outside the UK
Our opening hours are:
8am–5pm Monday to Friday
Parents and students should contact their school or college in the first instance.