Why choose AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Mathematics
This qualification fills the gap for high achieving students by assessing their higher order mathematical skills, particularly in algebraic reasoning, in greater depth, thus preparing them fully to maximise their potential in further studies at Level 3. It offers the opportunity for stretch and challenge that builds on the Key Stage 4 curriculum and is intended as an additional qualification to the GCSE Mathematics, rather than as a replacement. The content assumes prior knowledge of the Key Stage 4 Programme of Study and covers the areas of algebra and geometry, which are crucial to further study in the subject, in greater depth and breadth. This qualification places an emphasis on higher order technical proficiency, rigorous argument and problem solving skills.
It also gives an introduction to calculus and matrices and develops further skills in trigonometry, functions and graphs.
The AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Mathematics is an untiered Level 2 linear qualification for learners who:
- either already have, or are expected to achieve, grades 7, 8 and 9 in GCSE mathematics
- are likely to progress to A-Level study in Mathematics and possibly Further Mathematics.
You can find out about all our Mathematics qualifications at aqa.org.uk/maths
Support and resources to help you teach
We know that support and resources are vital for your teaching and that you have limited time to find or develop good quality materials. So we’ve worked with experienced teachers to provide you with a range of resources that will help you confidently plan, teach and prepare for exams.
Our resources include:
- teaching guidance to outline clearly the possible scope of teaching and learning
- worksheets for specific topics
- textbook approved by AQA.
Preparing for exams
Visit aqa.org.uk/8365 for everything you need to prepare for our exams, including:
- past papers, mark schemes and examiners’ reports from the legacy specification 8360
- specimen papers and mark schemes for new courses
Analyse your students' results with Enhanced Results Analysis (ERA)
Find out which questions were the most challenging, how the results compare to previous years and where your students need to improve. ERA, our free online results analysis tool, will help you see where to focus your teaching. Register at aqa.org.uk/era
For information about results, including maintaining standards over time, grade boundaries and our postresults services, visit aqa.org.uk/results
Keep your skills up to date with professional development
Wherever you are in your career, there’s always something new to learn. As well as subject-specific training, we offer a range of courses to help boost your skills:
- improve your teaching skills in areas including differentiation, teaching literacy and meeting Ofsted requirements
- help you prepare for a new role with our leadership and management courses.
You can attend a course at venues around the country, in your school or online – whatever suits your needs and availability. Find out more at coursesandevents.aqa.org.uk.
- Specification for first teaching in 2018 (546.1 KB)