3.2 Creating original drama
This subject content is assessed practically.Each student must choose to be assessed as a:
- performer or
- lighting designer or
- sound designer or
- set designer or
- costume designer or
- puppet designer or
Costume designers may choose to include make-up and/or hair and/or masks. Set designers may choose to include design of props.
Each student must choose one specialism only for all the Creating original drama content.
See Component 2: Creating original drama for details.
3.2.1 Creating devised drama
Students must learn how to create and develop original devised ideas to communicate meaning as part of the theatre making process.
Students must draw on and demonstrate a practical understanding of the subject content listed in Knowledge and understanding.Students must develop their ability to:
- develop their own ideas
- research relevant processes and practices of theatre making to inform their own practice
- apply what they have learnt from live theatre to their own work in practice
- collaborate with other theatre makers
- explore devising and rehearsal methods
- refine and amend work in progress.
Students must also study for this component the work and methodology of one influential theatre practitioner chosen from the list of Prescribed practitioners.They must study:
- the social, cultural and historical context in which the practitioner is/was working
- theatrical purpose and practice
- artistic intentions
- innovative nature of their approach
- working methods
- theatrical style and use of conventions
- collaboration with/influence on other practitioners.
The practitioner must be a different practitioner to the practitioner used for text-based exploration.
For assessment, students must produce an individual Working notebook detailing their devising process.
See The Working notebook for details.
3.2.2 Performing devised drama
Students must learn how to contribute to devised drama in a live theatre context for an audience.
They must contribute as either a performer, designer or director.
Students must draw on and demonstrate a practical understanding of the subject content listed in Knowledge and understanding.They must develop their ability to:
- create and communicate meaning
- realise artistic intention in devised drama.
For assessment, students must perform, direct or create realised designs for a devised group piece.
See The devised performance for details.