Why choose AQA for A-level Philosophy
Designed for you and your students
Our new AS and A-level Philosophy qualifications are designed to give your students a thorough grounding in the key concepts and methods of philosophy. Students will have the opportunity to engage with big questions in a purely secular context. Our qualifications are fully co-teachable, so you can teach AS and A-level students in the same class.
Your students will develop important skills that they need for progression to higher education. They’ll learn to be clear and precise in their thinking and writing. They will engage with complex texts, analysing and evaluating the arguments of others and constructing and defending their own arguments.
We’ve designed these qualifications with help from teachers and subject experts. We’ve looked to minimise content changes, providing continuity from our current AS and A-level specifications so you’ll find a mix of familiar topics. We have introduced some updated content to ensure that the work of women philosophers is represented.
Clear, well-structured exams
We’ve retained the structure and layout of our AS and A-level question papers and mark schemes providing continuity with the current specifications.
You can find out about all our Philosophy qualifications at aqa.org.uk/philosophy
Support and resources to help you teach
We’ve worked with experienced teachers to provide you with a range of resources that will help you confidently plan, teach and prepare for exams.
Visit aqa.org.uk/7172 to see all our teaching resources. They include:
- a thorough anthology to help you access the set texts
- sample schemes of work to help you plan your course with confidence
- training courses to help you deliver AQA Philosophy qualifications
- subject expertise courses for all teachers, from newly qualified teachers who are just getting started to experienced teachers looking for fresh inspiration.
Preparing for exams
Visit aqa.org.uk/7172 for everything you need to prepare for our exams, including:
- past papers, mark schemes and examiners’ reports
- specimen papers and mark schemes for new courses
- example student answers with examiner commentaries.
Analyse your students' results with Enhanced Results Analysis (ERA)
Find out which questions were the most challenging, how the results compare to previous years and where your students need to improve. ERA, our free online results analysis tool, will help you see where to focus your teaching. Register at aqa.org.uk/era
For information about results, including maintaining standards over time, grade boundaries and our post-results services, visit aqa.org.uk/results
Keep your skills up-to-date with professional development
Wherever you are in your career, there’s always something new to learn. As well as subject specific training, we offer a range of courses to help boost your skills.
- Improve your teaching skills in areas including differentiation, teaching literacy and meeting Ofsted requirements.
- Prepare for a new role with our leadership and management courses.
You can attend a course at venues around the country, in your school or online – whatever suits your needs and availability. Find out more at coursesandevents.aqa.org.uk
Help and support
Visit our website for information, guidance, support and resources at aqa.org.uk/7172
If you'd like us to share news and information about this qualification, sign up for emails and updates at aqa.org.uk/from-2017
Alternatively, you can call or email our subject team direct.
T: 01483 477 822
- Specification for first teaching in 2017 (611.1 KB)