Why choose AQA for AS and A-level Biology
Relevant in the classroom and the real world
We involved over a thousand teachers in developing these specifications, to ensure that the subject content is relevant to real world experiences and is interesting to teach and learn. We’ve also presented it in a straightforward way, giving you the freedom to teach in the way that works for your students.
A-level Biology is a stepping stone to future study, which is why we also consulted universities to ensure these specifications allow students to develop the skills that they want to see.
This approach has led to specifications that will support you to inspire students, nurture a passion for Biology and lay the groundwork for further study in courses like biological sciences and medicine.
The way you teach – your choice
These specifications have been written in a context-free style. This means that you can select the context and applications that you feel bring the subject alive. You can also teach to your strengths and to your students’ needs. To support you, we have produced a range of excellent teaching resources that you can use alongside your own.
Practicals at the heart of science
Like you, we believe that Biology is fundamentally an experimental subject. These specifications provide numerous opportunities to use practical experiences to link theory to reality, and equip students with the essential practical skills they need.
Teach AS and A-level together
We’ve ensured that the AS and A-level are fully co-teachable. The AS exams include similar questions to those in the A-level, with less difficulty, allowing for future growth. We’ve created our A-level content with our GCSE in mind to make sure that there is a seamless progression between qualifications. We’ve also followed ASE guidance on use of scientific terminology across our science subjects.
We’ve tested our specimen question papers with students, making sure they’re interesting, straightforward and clear and hold no hidden surprises. To ensure that your students are rewarded for the biology skills and knowledge they’ve developed, our exams include:
- accessible assessments allowing students of various abilities to shine
- a choice of two essay questions giving students more opportunities to bring together knowledge of the whole specification (A-level only).
With us, your students will get the results they deserve, from the exam board you trust.
You can find out about all our science qualifications at aqa.org.uk/science.
Support and resources to help you teach
We know that support and resources are vital for your teaching and that you have limited time to find or develop good quality materials. So we’ve worked with experienced teachers to provide you with a range of resources that will help you confidently plan, teach and prepare for exams.
We have too many Biology resources to list here so visit aqa.org.uk/7402 to see them all. They include:
- additional practice papers to help students prepare for exams
- guidance on how to plan both the AS and A-level courses with supporting schemes of work for co-teaching
- several AQA-approved student textbooks reviewed by experienced senior examiners
- resources to support key topics, with detailed lesson plans written by experienced teachers
- training courses to help you deliver AQA Biology qualifications
- subject expertise courses for all teachers, from newly-qualified teachers who are just getting started to experienced teachers looking for fresh inspiration.
Preparing for exams
Visit aqa.org.uk/7402 for everything you need to prepare for our exams, including:
- past papers, mark schemes and examiners’ reports
- specimen papers and mark schemes for new courses
- Exampro: a searchable bank of past AQA exam questions
- exemplar student answers with examiner commentaries.
Analyse your students' results with Enhanced Results Analysis (ERA)
Find out which questions were the most challenging, how the results compare to previous years and where your students need to improve. ERA, our free online results analysis tool, will help you see where to focus your teaching. Register at aqa.org.uk/era
For information about results, including maintaining standards over time, grade boundaries and our post-results services, visit aqa.org.uk/results
Keep your skills up to date with professional development
Wherever you are in your career, there’s always something new to learn. As well as subject-specific training, we offer a range of courses to help boost your skills.
- Improve your teaching skills in areas including differentiation, teaching literacy and meeting Ofsted requirements.
- Prepare for a new role with our leadership and management courses.
You can attend a course at venues around the country, in your school or online – whatever suits your needs and availability. Find out more at coursesandevents.aqa.org.uk
Get help and support
Visit our website for information, guidance, support and resources at aqa.org.uk/7402
You can talk directly to the Biology subject team:
T: 01483 477 756