Why choose AQA for AS and A-level Computer Science
Relevant to the classroom and the real world
Advances in computing are transforming the way we work and our new Computer Science specifications are changing with the times. We’ve worked closely with teachers to develop our popular qualifications, refreshing the content where needed but retaining the most popular and effective aspects of the previous specifications.
This evolutionary approach has built on strong foundations to deliver flexible, accessible and rigorous qualifications, backed by top quality support, resources and professional development. Without the need for huge changes we’re delighted to present up-to-date specifications that focus on the knowledge, understanding and skills students need to progress to higher education or thrive in the workplace.
A qualification for all abilities at AS and A-level
You’ll find these specifications suitable and appropriate for mixed ability classes – and we’ve helped to minimise the impact on classroom delivery, resourcing and timetabling by ensuring that you can teach AS and A-level together. This will help to make the transition to the new specifications smoother and our schemes of work will show you how the two levels can be taught together.
Assessment you can trustLike you, we are committed to ensuring that students obtain the results they deserve and are capable of.
- The new specifications have very clear, well-structured assessment criteria.
- Our exams include a variety of assessment styles so that students feel more confident and able to engage with the questions.
- Assessment of non-exam assessment (NEA) (A-level only) is more straightforward and designed to encourage students to do an investigative project on a topic of particular interest to them.
New resources and support to help teaching and learning
Our free resources, events and support, along with professional development opportunities, will help you to inspire and help your students to fulfil their potential. We’re also collaborating closely with publishers to ensure that you have textbooks to support you and your students with the new specifications. With us, your students will get the right results from an exam board you trust.
You can find out about all our Computer Science qualifications at aqa.org.uk/7517.
Support and resources to help you teach
We know that support and resources are vital for your teaching and that you have limited time to find or develop good quality materials. So we’ve worked with experienced teachers to provide you with a range of resources that will help you confidently plan, teach and prepare for exams.
We have too many Computer Science resources to list here so visit aqa.org.uk/7517 to see them all. They include:
- exemplar materials available on eAQA that highlight the standard required
- specimen and past papers and mark schemes that can be used to exemplify the required standard
- sample schemes of work and lesson plans to help you plan your course with confidence
- training courses to help you deliver AQA Computer Science qualifications
- dedicated subject advisers to offer expertise and guidance on the technical parts of the qualification and a dedicated Computer Science subject team available by phone and email to support with the delivery of the qualification
- subject expertise courses for all teachers, from newly-qualified teachers who are just getting started to experienced teachers looking for fresh inspiration.
Preparing for exams
Visit aqa.org.uk/7517 for everything you need to prepare for our exams, including:
- past papers, mark schemes and examiners’ reports
- specimen papers and mark schemes for new courses
- Exampro: a searchable bank of past AQA exam questions
- exemplar student answers with examiner commentaries.
Analyse your students' results with Enhanced Results Analysis (ERA)
Find out which questions were the most challenging, how the results compare to previous years and where your students need to improve. ERA, our free online results analysis tool, will help you see where to focus your teaching. Register at aqa.org.uk/era
For information about results, including maintaining standards over time, grade boundaries and our post-results services, visit aqa.org.uk/results
Keep your skills up to date with professional development
Wherever you are in your career, there’s always something new to learn. As well as subject-specific training, we offer a range of courses to help boost your skills:
- improve your teaching skills in areas including differentiation, teaching literacy and meeting Ofsted requirements
- help you prepare for a new role with our leadership and management courses.
You can attend a course at venues around the country, in your school or online – whatever suits your needs and availability. Find out more at coursesandevents.aqa.org.uk
Get help and support
Visit our website for information, guidance, support and resources at aqa.org.uk/7517
You can talk directly to the Computer Science subject team:
T: 0161 957 3980