Students will draw upon a range of texts as reading stimuli and engage with creative as well as real and relevant contexts. Students will have opportunities to develop reading and critical thinking skills that encourage enquiry into different topics and themes.
For Step Up to English students should:
- read, with some understanding, a range of texts, including literature and literary non-fiction as well as other writing such as letters and leaflets
- read and make comparisons between texts, explaining personal preferences where relevant
- locate and explain information or ideas from texts
- write effectively and coherently using English appropriately
- use grammar correctly and punctuate and spell accurately
- acquire and develop an appropriate vocabulary in writing and spoken language
- listen to and understand spoken language and use spoken English effectively.
This specification will encourage students to read fluently and write effectively. Students will be able to demonstrate a confident control of spoken English and write grammatically correct sentences.