Why choose AQA for GCSE Geography
Our specification enables a variety of teaching and learning approaches. This exciting and relevant course studies geography in a balanced framework of physical and human themes and investigates the link between them.
Students will travel the world from their classroom, exploring case studies in the United Kingdom (UK), higher income countries (HICs), newly emerging economies (NEEs) and lower income countries (LICs). Topics of study include climate change, poverty, deprivation, global shifts in economic power and the challenge of sustainable resource use. Students are also encouraged to understand their role in society, by considering different viewpoints, values and attitudes.
We created this specification with help from teachers and subject experts and we’re confident you’ll enjoy teaching it as much as your students will enjoy learning.
Upon completion of this two year course, students will have the skills and experience to progress onto A-level and beyond.
You can find out about all our Geography qualifications at aqa.org.uk/geography
Support and resources to help you teach
We’ve worked with experienced teachers to provide you with a range of resources that will help you confidently plan, teach and prepare for exams.
Visit aqa.org.uk/8035 to see all our teaching resources. They include:
- dedicated student textbooks approved by AQA
- specimen question papers and mark schemes to show you what the exam will look like
- enhanced schemes of work to provide you with a range of suggestions for lesson activities, resources and more
- fieldwork toolkit to support your delivery of this key element of the specification
- training courses to help you deliver AQA Geography qualifications
- subject expertise courses for all teachers, from newly-qualified teachers who are just getting started to experienced teachers looking for fresh inspiration.
Preparing for exams
Visit aqa.org.uk/8035 for everything you need to prepare for our exams, including:
- past papers, mark schemes and examiners’ reports
- specimen papers and mark schemes for new courses
- Exampro: a searchable bank of past AQA exam questions
- exemplar student answers with examiner commentaries.
Analyse your students' results with Enhanced Results Analysis (ERA)
Find out which questions were the most challenging, how the results compare to previous years and where your students need to improve. ERA, our free online results analysis tool, will help you see where to focus your teaching. Register at aqa.org.uk/era
For information about results, including maintaining standards over time, grade boundaries and our post-results services, visit aqa.org.uk/results
Keep your skills up-to-date with professional development
Wherever you are in your career, there’s always something new to learn. As well as subject-specific training, we offer a range of courses to help boost your skills.
- Improve your teaching skills in areas including differentiation, teaching literacy and meeting Ofsted requirements.
- Prepare for a new role with our leadership and management courses.
You can attend a course at venues around the country, in your school or online – whatever suits your needs and availability. Find out more at coursesandevents.aqa.org.uk
Help and support available
Visit our website for information, guidance, support and resources at aqa.org.uk/8035
If you'd like us to share news and information about this qualification, sign up for emails and updates at aqa.org.uk/keepinformedgeography
Alternatively, you can call or email our subject team direct.
T: 01483 477 791
- Specification for first teaching in 2016 (675.7 KB)