Why choose AQA for GCSE Music
Music is constantly evolving, inspiring creativity and expression in a way that no other subject can. That's why we have designed a relevant and contemporary GCSE qualification that offers your students the chance to study a wide range of musical genres, with more opportunities for practical learning. Our GCSE brings theory, listening and composition to life in new and engaging ways, and links to the world around us like never before.
We know that every student has different learning styles and musical tastes, which is why our GCSE values all music styles, skills and instruments. Broaden your students’ minds and foster a love of all music with a qualification that students of all abilities and backgrounds will enjoy.
You can find out about all our Music qualifications at aqa.org.uk/music
A specification designed for you and your students
Our specification and assessments have been designed to the highest standards, so that your students and parents can be confident that an AQA award provides an accurate measure of achievement.
The specification supports progression to further and higher education in music and related subjects, and provides all students with a platform to inspire a lifelong interest and enjoyment of music.
Support and resources to help you teach
We’ve worked with experienced teachers to provide you with a range of resources that will help you confidently plan, teach and prepare for exams.
Visit aqa.org.uk/8271 to see all our teaching resources. They include:
- Schemes of work: a variety of ideas across all titles to help you plan your course with confidence
- Good practice guides: to help you to inspire and challenge students to think creatively
- Teacher guides: detailed guides for the study pieces with suggested activities to help you to support your students in all areas of the specification
- Student guides: detailed guides specifically written for your students to complement the teacher guides in supporting them in all the areas of study
- Suggested listening lists: detailed examples of the elements in the music for all areas of study to help you prepare your students for the written exam
- Exemplification materials: to showcase sets of students' work supported by examiner commentaries and guidance.
- Training courses: to help you deliver AQA Music qualifications.
- Subject expertise courses: for all teachers from newly qualified teachers who are just getting started to experienced teachers looking for fresh inspiration.
- Teacher standardisation: our teacher online standardisation (T-OLS) system allows teachers and whole departments to work through exemplar and standardisation material quickly and easily.
- Music advisory service: each school or college is allocated a subject adviser. You can contact them for one-to-one advice on any aspect of the subject, assessment and/or support with planning and delivery of course content.
- Subject community: this provides access to free resources and services offered by museums, galleries, libraries and universities.
- Support meetings: to help you with course delivery by offering practical teaching strategies and approaches that really work.
- Teacher network group: this group allows teachers to contact colleagues at other centres to share ideas about resources and teaching strategies for the AQA specification.
Preparing for exams
Visit aqa.org.uk/8271 for everything you need to prepare for our exams, including:
- past papers, mark schemes and examiners’ reports
- specimen papers and mark schemes for new courses
- Exampro: a searchable bank of past AQA exam questions
- exemplar student answers with examiner commentaries.
Analyse your students' results with Enhanced Results Analysis (ERA)
Find out which questions were the most challenging, how the results compare to previous years and where your students need to improve. ERA, our free online results analysis tool, will help you see where to focus your teaching. Register at aqa.org.uk/era
For information about results, including maintaining standards over time, grade boundaries and our post-results services, visit aqa.org.uk/results
Keep your skills up-to-date with professional development
Wherever you are in your career, there’s always something new to learn. As well as subject-specific training, we offer a range of courses to help boost your skills.
- Improve your teaching skills in areas including differentiation, teaching literacy and meeting Ofsted requirements.
- Prepare for a new role with our leadership and management courses.
You can attend a course at venues around the country, in your school or online – whatever suits your needs and availability. Find out more at coursesandevents.aqa.org.uk
Help and support available
Visit our website for information, guidance, support and resources at aqa.org.uk/8271
If you'd like us to share news and information about this qualification, sign up for emails and updates at aqa.org.uk/keepinformedmusic
Alternatively, you can call or email our subject team direct.
T: 01483 437 750
- Specification for first teaching in 2016 (684.2 KB)