Specification at a glance
The Extended Project is a Level 3 qualification first assessed in November 2008. It can contribute to programmes of study as a stand-alone qualification. Students may choose to take the Extended Project Qualification as an extension from studies for any other qualifications at Level 3.
The Extended Project will develop and extend from one or more of the student’s study areas and/or from an area of personal interest or activity outside their main programme of study. It will be based on a topic chosen by the student(s) and agreed as appropriate by the centre.
Delivery of the Extended Project Qualification in centres will involve some teaching of the necessary skills, supervision and assessment of the student’s progress. It will involve extended autonomous work by the student. It will require in total 120 guided learning hours.
Students are required, with appropriate supervision, to:
- choose an area of interest
- draft a title and aims of the project for formal approval by the centre
- plan, research and carry out the project
- deliver a presentation to a non specialist audience
- provide evidence of all stages of project development and production for assessment.