Why choose AQA for AS and A-level Chemistry
Relevant in the classroom and the real world
We involved over a thousand teachers in developing these specifications, to ensure that the subject content is relevant to real world experiences and is interesting to teach and learn. We’ve also presented it in a straightforward way, giving you the freedom to teach in the way that works for your students.
These Chemistry specifications are a stepping stone to future study, which is why we also consulted universities, to ensure these specifications allows students to develop the skills that they want to see.
This approach has led to specifications that will help you to inspire students, nurture their passion for chemistry and lay the groundwork for further study in courses such as chemistry, medicine and pharmacy.
The way you teach – your choice
These specifications have been written with minimal context. This means that you can select the context and applications that you feel bring the subject alive. To support you, we have also produced a range of excellent teaching resources that you can use alongside your own.
Practicals at the heart of science
Like you, we believe that chemistry is fundamentally an experimental subject. These specifications provide numerous opportunities to use practical experiences to link theory to reality, and equip students with the essential practical skills they need.
Teach AS and A-level together
We’ve ensured that the AS and A-level are fully co-teachable. The AS exams are similar in style to the A-level exams, testing a subset of the same content, with less difficulty. This allows your students to develop and helps you and your students decide if A-level is the right choice for them.
We’ve created our AS and A-level content with our GCSE in mind, to make sure that there is a seamless progression between qualifications. We’ve also followed the Association for Science Education (ASE) guidance on use of scientific terminology across our science subjects.
Assessment successWe’ve tested our specimen question papers with students, making sure they’re interesting, straightforward, clear and hold no hidden surprises. To ensure that your students are rewarded for the skills and knowledge they’ve developed, our exams include:
- specified content tested in each of the first two papers to help students prepare for their exams
- a variety of assessment styles so students can confidently engage with the questions
- multiple choice questions, which allow for a wide breadth of the chemistry from the specifications to be tested.
You can find out about all our science qualifications at aqa.org.uk/science
Support and resources to help you teach
We know that support and resources are vital for your teaching and that you have limited time to find or develop good quality materials. So we’ve worked with experienced teachers to provide you with a range of resources that will help you confidently plan, teach and prepare for exams.
We have too many Chemistry resources to list here, so visit aqa.org.uk/7405 to see them all. They include:
- additional practice papers to help students prepare for exams
- guidance on how to plan both the AS and A-level courses with schemes of work for co-teaching
- an additional scheme of work showing relevant applications of the theory outlined in the specifications
- several AQA-approved student textbooks, reviewed by experienced senior examiners
- guidance on maths skills requirements with additional support from Exampro
- resources to support new content with detailed lesson plans written by experienced teachers
- training courses to help you deliver AQA Chemistry qualifications
- subject expertise courses for all teachers, from newly-qualified teachers who are just getting started to experienced teachers looking for fresh inspiration.
Preparing for exams
Visit aqa.org.uk/7405 for everything you need to prepare for our exams, including:
- past papers, mark schemes and examiners’ reports
- specimen papers and mark schemes for new courses
- Exampro: a searchable bank of past AQA exam questions
- exemplar student answers with examiner commentaries.
Analyse your students' results with Enhanced Results Analysis (ERA)
Find out which questions were the most challenging, how the results compare to previous years and where your students need to improve. ERA, our free online results analysis tool, will help you see where to focus your teaching. Register at aqa.org.uk/era
For information about results, including maintaining standards over time, grade boundaries and our post-results services, visit aqa.org.uk/results
Keep your skills up to date with professional development
Wherever you are in your career, there’s always something new to learn. As well as subject-specific training, we offer a range of courses to help boost your skills.
- Improve your teaching skills in areas including differentiation, teaching literacy and meeting Ofsted requirements.
- Prepare for a new role with our leadership and management courses.
You can attend a course at venues around the country, in your school or online – whatever suits your needs and availability. Find out more at coursesandevents.aqa.org.uk
Get help and support
Visit our website for information, guidance, support and resources at aqa.org.uk/7405
You can talk directly to the Chemistry subject team:
T: 01483 477756