If you're unhappy about an exam result, you can ask us for a clerical check or review of marking (“enquiries about results”), or we can send you the marked paper (“access to scripts”).
Students and parents: we can’t take requests directly from you or talk to you about your results. Your exams officer or teacher will need to help you.
Changes in 2016
Ofqual has announced changes to marking reviews. Their decision means that for all services, we can only correct genuine marking errors – we can't change reasonable marks.
Ofqual are still considering the outcome of this consultation. If there are any further changes, we'll update these pages.
- If the student has a university place pending, you must only request a priority review of marking.
- If the student doesn’t have a university place pending, you can request a:
- priority copy of the marked paper to decide if you want a clerical check or review of marking (certain subjects only)
- clerical check for an individual student or a whole class
- review of marking (re-mark) for an individual student or a whole class
- moderation review for controlled assessment or coursework in a whole subject.
If you’re not planning a clerical check, review of marking or appeal, you can also ask us to send you an original marked paper or recording to use in your teaching.
JCQ’s post-results services page also has information.
If you’re a private candidate, you can make these requests through your school or college. If you need any help, email email@example.com or call 0800 197 7162.