Post-results services

If you're unhappy about an exam result, you can ask us for a clerical check or review of marking ('enquiries about results'), or we can send you the marked paper ('access to scripts').

Students and parents: we can’t take requests directly from you or talk to you about your results. Your exams officer or teacher will need to help you.

Changes for summer 2017

In 2016, Ofqual announced changes to marking reviews. In February 2017, they announced further decisions affecting all services from the June 2017 exam series onwards.

This mean that:

  • grade protection no longer applies to any of our post-review services that include a review of marking. This means that students’ marks and subject grades may be lowered, confirmed or raised as a result. This does not apply to moderation reviews
  • JCQ awarding bodies will no longer accept post-results requests directly from private candidates. All requests must be made through your school or college
  • the criteria-based extended review of marking service is no longer available. However, we remain committed to quality of marking, and will manage any concerns about cohort marking on a case-by-case basis.


In summer 2016, Ofqual piloted appeals against the reasonableness of the application of the mark scheme for three A-level subjects. They are considering whether to continue these in summer 2017. We’ll update our Appeals page when we know more.

What’s available

We’ve created a flowchart version of this information (summed up below). Get information about fees on the individual service pages, which is also summarised in the summer 2017 series fees flowchart.

  1. If the student has a university place pending, you must only request a priority review of marking.
  2. If the student doesn’t have a university place pending, you can request a:
    1. priority copy of the marked paper to decide if you want a clerical check or review of marking (certain subjects only)
    2. clerical check for an individual student or a whole class
    3. review of marking (re-mark) for an individual student or a whole class
    4. moderation review for controlled assessment or coursework in a whole subject.

If you’re not planning a clerical check, review of marking or appeal, you can also ask us to send you an original marked paper or recording to use in your teaching.

JCQ’s post-results services page also has information.