Post-16 resits and further education
The final resit opportunity for the legacy GCSE English (4700) and GCSE English Language (4705) specifications was in June 2017. From November 2017 onwards, all students wishing to sit GCSE English Language must now sit the new GCSE English (8700) specification.
Teaching our new GCSE English Language qualification
The collection of resources on this page are designed to help you prepare to teach our new GCSE English Language to further education or post-16 resit students. They will help you to reinforce and develop GCSE English skills across all curriculum areas. We're here to support you with the challenges ahead.
We’ve summarised the changes between the outgoing GCSE English Language (4705) and the new GCSE English Language (8700) so you can easily compare the two. We’ve also created some teacher notes on the exams for the new qualification, with first assessment from summer 2017.
- Introductory guide: teaching GCSE English Language to post-16 students
- Study routes available for post-16 GCSE English Language
- Five tips for teaching GCSE English Language to post-16 students
Resources to help you teach over one year
- Standard one-year teaching plan
- Post-16 one-year teaching plan
- Poster: assessment objectives symmetry grid
- Suggested timings grid
- Teaching guide: developing English language skills
- Exams walkthrough: Preparing to Teach presentation – available on SKM only; see below for access details
Secure resources to support assessment
The first set of sample assessment materials and examiner commentary is available on our website under Assessment resources for GCSE English Language (8700).
We’ve also put together some general guidance on how to apply a mark scheme confidently and consistently.
Further resources are available from the Secure Key Materials (SKM) section of our secure extranet (e-AQA) to help you prepare your students for assessment. Log in to e-AQA to access these, or register for e-AQA if you don't already have login details.
The following resources are available on SKM:
- additional sample assessment materials (two further sets including exam papers and mark schemes)
- spoken language: video clips and commentaries featuring students who've been moderated across all awarding bodies, with examiner commentaries. Guidance on the standard expected at each level of the spoken language mark scheme. See also our Spoken language endorsement page
- marked student responses for the second set of SAMs: videos with guidance from examiners on how to apply the mark scheme; resource packs for use in internal standardisation
- KS3 assessment packs: reinforcing basic skills to support assessment tracking. See also our guide to English assessments at Key Stage 3
These booklets include sample reading resources you can use to prepare your students for the unseen text section of the exams (Section A).
- Teaching guide: post-16 reading support - paper 2
- Paper 1: Reading resource booklet
- Paper 2: Reading resource booklet
Further insights series
Our customer support team are available to support you between 8am and 7pm on weekdays.
Call us on 0161 953 7504 or email English-GCSE@aqa.org.uk