Specifications that use this resource:
Resource and support guide: post-16 resits and further education
The resources on this page are designed to help you prepare to teach our GCSE Maths (8300) qualification to further education or post-16 resit students. They'll help you to reinforce and develop GCSE Maths skills across all curriculum areas.
- Specification at a glance: review the subject content and exams format for the qualification
- Study routes available for post-16 GCSE Maths
- 12 tips for teaching GCSE Maths to post-16 students
- Preparing to teach: post-16 one-year resit – webinar
All About Maths resources
All About Maths is our resources site for maths teachers using our specifications. You'll need to log in to All About Maths to view the resources included below that are held on that site, or register for an account if you don't already have one.
Resources to help you teach over one year
We've created the route map and teaching guide below in collaboration with further education expert Julia Smith.
One-year route map
We've created a fully customisable one-year route map to help you plan your teaching for those studying for their resit over a single year (also available as a PowerPoint file).
The route map:
- links to various teaching resources
- is intended as a revision programme
- includes three 10-week terms
- focuses on topics that will help students improve on their previous grade.
Route map teaching guide
This teaching guide explains exactly how the one-year route map works for post-16 students. It includes guidance on:
- learning hours
- student mindset
- what to focus on in each term
- strategies for success
- encouraging independent self-study.
Basic skills questions
Measure and improve your students' basic maths skills with three sets of questions. They cover nine basic maths skills that are included in our GCSE Maths specification.
We know how important it is to assess your students' strengths and weaknesses at the start of your teaching so that you can focus your efforts where it really counts.
All our assessment materials are based on actual GCSE questions – not functional skills questions. This helps put your students in the strongest position to get the results they deserve in their GCSE resit.
Mock exams analysis
Our mock exam analysers [All About Maths] can be used with our past papers to identify common areas of strength or weakness and highlight students who may need additional support.
We have two types of mock exam analyser for each paper:
- a student friendly version which enables your students to reflect on their performance and identify their strengths and weaknesses. The breakdown of individual questions is also available as a PowerPoint which makes presenting them to the whole class easier.
- a class comparison version which allows you to analyse your students' results to find common areas for improvement.
Our teaching guidance document explains the subject content and what students should be able to do for each content area. It gives examples of the questions that could be asked for each topic.
Assessment objectives 2 and 3
The GCSE course has greater focus on assessment objectives 2 (reasoning) and 3 (problem solving) than ever before.
Our AO2 and AO3 guidance document [All About Maths] helps you understand the requirements for these assessment objectives and offers further sample questions for extra practice in these key areas.
Use our focus on success teacher training packs for AO2 and AO3 to gain an in-depth understanding of our GCSE Maths assessments and to help you bring out the best in your students. Each self-guided modular CPD pack offers insights into our assessments to ensure you and your team have all the teaching tools and guidance needed to equip students with key exam skills.
- Foundation tier revision checklist [All About Maths]
- Higher tier revision checklist [All About Maths]
- Teaching guide on common misunderstandings which explains how to read and approach maths questions and avoid common mistakes
- Topic tests [All About Maths]
Our customer support team are available to support you between 8am and 5pm Monday to Friday.