Past results and lost certificates
We provide a records retrieval service for exams taken with us and our predecessor boards.
Services we provide
- Certified Statement of Results – to replace a lost certificate
- Confirmation letter to a third party – eg, universities or employers
- Verification of certificates
- Amendments to original certificates
We can’t provide:
- full replacement certificates
- results over the telephone or via email due to regulations (GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018) and security.
What you need to know
- We may not hold your exam results, and you may need to apply to another exam board or boards.
- It takes up to 4 weeks to process your application.
- There is no fast track or priority service.
- There is a non-refundable £43.00 fee for this service.
- We need photocopies of proof of identity.
- We can only amend name changes made by deed poll if the deed poll was in place before the day your results were issued.
- No one else can apply on your behalf.
How to apply
Step 1 of 4 – Check who may hold your results
Before you apply, check the relevant records information page depending on when you sat your exam(s):
If you're not sure what type of exam you took and when, check our exam year guide.
Step 2 of 4 – Photocopy or scan your proof of identity
If your name hasn’t changed since your exam, we need a photocopy or scan of one of the following:
- birth certificate
- current driving licence
- current passport or ID card.
If your name has changed since your exam, we also need a photocopy or scan of one of the following:
- marriage certificate
- deed poll
- decree absolute and birth certificate.
If your name has changed multiple times since your exam, we will need proof of each name change.
For advice on transgender cases, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 3 of 4 – Complete the application form
Download and save a copy of the application form.
Please do not use Apple Preview or Chrome PDF Viewer to fill out this form. Use either the desktop version of Adobe Acrobat/Reader or the Adobe Reader mobile app (for iOS or Android). You also need to save your own version (‘Save as’ rather than just ‘Save’).
Then email the completed form, along with all relevant documentation, to email@example.com
Alternatively you can post a printed copy of the form to:
Step 4 of 4 – Pay by bank transfer
A £43.00 fee covers the search and administration involved. If you ask us to send results overseas by DHL to you or a third party add £20 for each delivery.
We can only accept payment by bank transfer.
|IBAN (for international bank transfers)||GB18NWBK60095026165570|
|Bank||National Westminster Bank plc|
|Branch||Guildford High Street (A) Branch|
|Bank Address||151 High Street, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 3AH|
Make a note of your:
- payment reference (please use REC followed by your surname then forename eg. REC SMITH JOHN).
- date of payment
- sort code
- account number.
Please read our Guidance notes if you need further help with completing your application.
Cancellations and refunds
If you need to cancel your application, please let us know in writing. We can only give you a full refund if we receive written notice within five days after we confirm receipt of your application. After this time, we can’t give any refunds as the fee paid covers the administration costs of logging the request and searching for results.
We may cancel your application for the following reasons:
- we don’t receive the appropriate application fee
- there are irregularities in the application such as insufficient ID or school information
- you have not responded to our query within seven working days.
If your application is cancelled, you will need to submit a new application form to retrieve your results.
Subject access request
Subject to us holding your results, if you do not require certified documentation then details of your past results can be obtained from us with a subject access request. There is no fee for this, but what you receive is not an official document. If you need to provide proof of your qualifications to an employer, we suggest you check with them first what they will accept.
Please use the subject access request form to request non-certified past results.