British Library resources
The Shakespeare in Quarto section includes a range of resources about Shakespeare, his plays and his theatre.
The 19th-century novel
The Dickens in Context pages, while not all directly relevant to the two novels on the specification, include a range of texts and videos that can be used to discuss the two set novels and the contexts that surround them.
In the Discovering Literature: Victorians and Romantics section a wide range of resources can be used to support teaching and learning around the 19th-century novel.
The resources in this section are innumerable and include:
- a teaching resource on Pride and Prejudice and society
- a wide range of resources to support teaching of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
- a video and article about the origins of A Christmas Carol and an article about ghosts in A Christmas Carol
- articles about the gothic in Great Expectations, and crime in Great Expectations
- a variety of resources about Jane Eyre including a video and article about Jane Eyre and women in the 19th century and a video and article about fairytale and realism in Jane Eyre
- a variety of resources about Frankenstein including a teaching resource to introduce the context of the novel
- a range of videos on Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, A Christmas Carol, Great Expectations and the gothic
The Poetry and Performance section includes recordings and discussion of a range of poems that can be used as preparation for Paper 2 Section C Unseen poetry. In addition, there are recordings of some poems from the Poems Past and Present anthology, notably Shelley’s ‘Love’s Philosophy’ and Ozymandias and Browning’s ‘My Last Duchess’.
Other resources include:
a range of resources about the Romantics, including an article introducing the main themes of Romantic poetry
an article that introduces Ozymandias
an article that looks at the manuscript of Blake’s ‘London’