Specifications that use this resource:
Non-exam assessment guide: Spoken language endorsement
GCSE English Language has an endorsed component covering spoken language.
This endorsement is reported as a separate grade (Pass, Merit, Distinction or Not Classified) and will not contribute to the result of the GCSE English Language qualification.
You can find out more about the spoken language endorsement using the links below.
- Notes and guidance: non-exam assessment. Guidance for teachers, exploring how to approach the endorsement from planning to assessment with practical suggestions for supporting student attainment.
- Spoken Language endorsement for GCSE English Language. This outline is from all the awarding bodies.
- Inter-board standardising videos. These are located on Centre Services in the ‘Resources’ section. You can use our search tool to find them by selecting ‘Assessment material’ as the category and ‘Standardisation’ as the resource type. They have been produced in collaboration with all awarding bodies. It's very important that you view the standardising material and commentaries before embarking on the spoken language assessments. There are 12 videos available and they cover awards of Distinction, Merit and Pass. They can be used as a departmental Continuing Professional Development (CPD) activity. The material also shows examples of the type of presentations that are suitable.
- Instructions for conducting and recording audio-visual evidence. Use these instructions to plan how and when you will record the sample of presentations that you will submit to us. We strongly recommend that from the outset you save recordings using the labelling system referred to in this document.
- Student record form. It's important that you keep all your own internal records. You may use this form for each student if you wish. You may also create your own version of this form, though this would only be for your own records. You do not need to submit any supporting paperwork to us.
- JCQ Instructions for conducting non-examination assessments
- Arrangements for learners with communication issues and/or hearing needs