The Unit Award Scheme (UAS) is a unique recording of achievement scheme, rather than a qualification. It offers learners the opportunity to have their achievements formally recognised with a certificate each time a short unit of learning is successfully completed.
There are no limits on:
- what can be accredited, as long as it is worthwhile and meaningful for the learner
- who can achieve, in terms of age or ability
- how long it takes to achieve or when this takes place
- how learning can be evidenced.
Flexibility is key with UAS, and our motto is 'Achievement for All'. We encourage and support learners to show them what they can do, rather than what they can't.
In the words of one of our centres, Little Heath School in Redbridge:
The AQA Unit Award Scheme is invaluable as it is an important pathway for our students to receive accreditation for their achievements. It provides a wide range of units which are differentiated, making accreditation accessible to all pupils regardless of their ability. Furthermore, through allowing amendments and writing our own units, we are able to expand and customise units to our pupil's individual learning interests and needs.
Links with AQA Qualifications
- as a stepping stone towards achieving a full qualification
- to accredit the work done by students who have not managed to complete enough units to gain the overall qualification.