Impact and implications
This cross-cutting research theme explores how the wider environment can influence the products and processes of assessment and qualifications.
We've looked at the impact of assessment and qualifications on students, teachers and others in the education sector, by:
- exploring if there's a geographical difference in school performance
- investigating the effects of socioeconomic status and schooling
- looking at the evidence on aptitude tests versus school exams as selection tools for higher education
- considering the effects of accountability measures, eg for early and multiple entry to GCSE Maths
- using the theory of planned behaviour to understand students' subject choices in post-compulsory education.
As part of a wider international project around transparency, we've also produced practical guidelines for exam board researchers on how to overcome barriers to disseminating their work.
Find out more about our latest research focus and the work we’re doing to address key current factors: