Clerical re-check (service 1)
We've suspended our usual post-results services for the summer 2020 exams series as exams didn't take place. Post-results services do not apply to centre-assessed grades or rankings.
A clerical re-check of a marked paper will make sure that:
- we marked all the pages
- we counted all the marks
- the result matches the marks on the paper.
Your grade can go down as well as up.
- £8.05 per unit/component for GCSE, AQA Certificates (except Level 3), ELC, FCSE, Functional Skills, FSMQ foundation and higher, Level 1 and Level 2 projects.
- £16.10 per unit/component for AS, A-level, Level 3 Tech-level qualifications, FSMQ advanced level, Level 3 Extended project and AQA Certificate Level 3 Applied General qualifications.
- £14.35 additional fee if you request a copy of the checked paper.
If the overall subject grade changes, we don't charge for it – or any of the units, if it's modular.
If the overall subject award grade stays the same – or the student doesn't aggregate (process of combining the marks or other units of credit awarded through an assessment scheme) – and the qualification is modular:
- we don't charge if a unit grade changes as a result of a review.
- if two units are reviewed, and only one unit grade changes, we'll still charge for the unit where the grade didn't change.
Make a request
You can only request a clerical re-check once for each paper.
- Fill in the student written consent form from JCQ's post-results services page, and keep it for six months after the outcome of the enquiry or subsequent appeal.
- Log in to e-AQA and select 'Post-results services'.
- Select 'Service 1'.
- If you want a copy of the checked paper, select 'Copy required' on the submission screen.
If you forget to request a copy, you can't go back and add this to your original order in e-AQA. Instead, you’ll need to fill in our late request for a copy of a reviewed script form on e-AQA (under Secure Key Materials > Admin).
|Exam series||Request deadline|
|January 2021||1 April 2021|
|March 2021||6 May 2021|
How long it takes
A clerical re-check takes up to 10 calendar days.
What happens next
We’ll email your school/college's exams officer when your clerical re-check outcome is available on e-AQA.
If there has been a mark change on one or more of the questions on a checked paper, you will receive a copy of the paper (to comply with the new Ofqual requirements to automatically provide the reasons for review of marking decisions) and a letter outlining mark change reasons. For the November 2019 exam series, these will be sent by post to schools and colleges.