Carry forward of marks
When a student re-takes a qualification which includes non-examination assessment (NEA) they may request a carry forward of the mark/grade for the NEA component.
- You must use the same Unique Candidate Identifier (UCI) that was used for the original attempt, otherwise we will not be able to process the carry forward request.
- For non-exam assessment (NEA) components in reformed linear GCSE, AS and A-level subjects, the most recent non-absent result will be carried forward.
- For endorsement grades in GCSE English Language and A-level sciences, grades can be carried forward across the JCQ exam boards. The most recent grade (including ‘not classified’) will be carried forward.
- Marks can be carried forward for teacher marked and AQA marked NEA components such as MFL speaking tests.
- Marks can be carried forward for the lifetime of the specification. There is no restriction on time between the original attempt and the re-take.
- Certain subjects have specific rules.
How to request carry forward
Students wishing to carry forward marks should be entered as normal using the standard entry codes. You don’t need to send us the mark/grade again, just submit a carry forward request by the submission deadline for the component. This document will show you how: How to request carry forward
It is vital that you keep the same UCI that was used for the original attempt. We will locate the mark/grade from the previous attempt and transfer it into the new entry. This will be the final post-moderation mark in the case of internal assessment.
Carry forward doesn't apply to modular qualifications where coursework forms the whole unit (for example Applied General qualifications). Results for modular units are used as necessary when the award is claimed – it is not necessary to re-enter the unit and request a carry forward of marks.
Carrying forward GCSE English Language and A-level science endorsements from other exam boards
Students can carry forward their endorsement grade, even if they sat the original exam with a different board. Please note the most recent attempt will be carried forward even if it is 'not classified' or not the best attempt.
Carrying forward marks from AQA
Select a qualification to see which of our subjects allow marks to be carried forward and the associated rules.