Review and priority review of marking
If you request a review or priority review of marking:
- it includes a clerical re-check
- you’ll receive a copy of the reviewed script as part of this service
- a second examiner will review the paper/recording again to identify genuine marking errors or unreasonable marking
- we’ll make sure all the marks are counted.
Your grade can go down as well as up. A review is the standard speed service for any student. A priority review is a quicker service for students whose place at a university or other higher education institution depends on the outcome. It’s only available for:
- AS and A-level (including new AS specifications)
- FSMQ Advanced Level
- AQA Certificate Level 3
- AQA Certificate Level 3 Applied General qualifications.
You can request these services for individual units or components.
- £38.35 per unit/component for GCSE, AQA Certificates (except Level 3), ELC, FCSE, Functional Skills, FSMQ Foundation and Higher, Level 1 and Level 2 projects
- For AS, A-level, AQA Certificate Level 3, FSMQ Advanced Level and AQA Certificate Level 3 Applied General qualifications:
- £44.40 per unit/component (review of marking)
- £52.85 per unit/component (priority review of marking)
If the overall subject grade changes, we don't charge for it – or any of the units, if it’s modular.
If the overall subject award grade stays the same – or the student doesn’t aggregate (process of combining the marks or other units of credit awarded through an assessment scheme) – and the qualification is modular:
- we don’t charge if a unit grade changes as a result of a review
- if two units are reviewed, and only one unit grade changes, we’ll still charge for the unit where the grade didn’t change.
Make a request
You can only request a review of marking once for a paper.
- Fill in the student written consent form from JCQ’s post-results services page and keep it for six months after the outcome of the enquiry or subsequent appeal.
- Log in to Centre Services and select ‘Post-exams’ and ‘Post-results services’.
- Select ‘Review of marking’ either ‘Request by candidate’ or ‘Request by component’ and then select the service ‘Non priority (Plus reviewed script)’ or ‘Priority (Plus reviewed script)’.
- You’ll receive a copy of the reviewed script as part of the review or priority review of marking service.
Reviews for exams with multiple components
Previously, where question papers are split into multiple components with individual answer booklets you had to select each component to be included in a post-results review. You no longer need to do this and only have to select one of the components. This will then automatically include all components in the request.
Priority reviews of marking are not available in the November, January or March exam series.
|Exam series||Priority review: request deadline||Review: request deadline|
|June 2022 |
A-level; AS; Level 3 Certificate; Functional Skills; Applied General; GCSE; AQA Certificate; Entry Level Certificate; FCSE; Project; L1/L2 Awards
|25 August 2022||29 September 2022|
How long it takes
- up to 20 calendar days for a review of marking
- up to 15 calendar days for a priority review of marking.
What happens next?
We’ll email your school/college’s exams officer when your review outcome is available on Centre Services.To comply with the new Ofqual requirements, if there has been a mark change on one or more of the questions on a reviewed paper, the reasons for review of marking decisions can be found on the copy of reviewed script. These can be accessed on the ‘View or cancel requests’ screen on Centre Services.