Review and priority review of marking (service 2)
If you request a review or priority review of marking:
- it includes a clerical re-check
- a second examiner will review the paper/recording again to identify genuine marking errors or unreasonable marking
- we'll make sure all the marks are counted.
Your grade can go down as well as up. A review is the standard speed service for any student. A priority review is a quicker service for students whose place at a university or other higher education institution depends on the outcome. It’s only available for:
- AS and A-level (including new AS specifications)
- FSMQ Advanced Level
- AQA Certificate Level 3
- AQA Certificate Level 3 Applied General qualifications.
You can request these services for individual units or components.
Fees for the June 2019 series are:
- £37.55 per unit/component for GCSE, AQA Certificates (except Level 3), ELC, FCSE, Functional Skills, FSMQ Foundation and Higher, Level 1 and Level 2 projects
- For AS, A-level, AQA Certificate Level 3, FSMQ Advanced Level, AQA Certificate Level 3 Applied General qualifications and Level 3 Tech-level qualifications:
- £43.45 per unit/component (review of marking)
- £51.75 per unit/component (priority review of marking)
- £14.35 additional fee if you request a copy of the reviewed paper.
If the overall subject grade changes, we don’t charge for it (or any of its units if it's modular).
If the overall subject award grade stays the same (or the student doesn’t aggregate) and the qualification is modular:
- we don’t charge if a unit grade changes as a result of a review
- if two units are reviewed and one unit grade changes and the other doesn't, we'll still charge for the unit where the grade does not change.
Requests for papers with multiple booklets
Where question papers are split into multiple components with individual answer booklets (for example GCSE History and Religious Studies, A-level Physics and AS and A-level Further Maths), remember to select all of the components for that paper which you wish to be reviewed.
We charge a single fee per request for each paper. If you select both components for that paper, you’ll only be charged once. However, if you request a review of marking for individual components at different times, you’ll be charged for each request.
Make a request
You can only request a review of marking once for a paper.
- Fill in the student written consent form from JCQ's post-results services page, and keep it for six months after the outcome of the enquiry or subsequent appeal. If you’re requesting this service for our Level 3 Tech-level qualifications, email the signed consent form directly to firstname.lastname@example.org (you don’t need to follow steps 2 to 5).
- Log in to e-AQA and select 'Post-results services'.
- Select Service 2 for a review of marking or Service 2P for a priority review of marking.
- If you want a copy of the reviewed papers, select 'Copy required' on the submission screen.
If you forget to request a copy of the reviewed paper, you can't go back and add this to your original order in e-AQA. You’ll need to fill in our late request for a copy of a reviewed script form on e-AQA (under Secure Key Materials > Admin).
Priority reviews of marking are not available in the November 2019, January 2020 or March 2020 exam series.
|Exam series||Priority review: request deadline||Review: request deadline|
|November 2019||N/A||13 February 2020|
|January 2020||N/A||2 April 2020|
|March 2020||N/A||7 May 2020|
How long it takes
It can take:
- up to 20 calendar days for a review of marking.
- up to 15 calendar days for a priority review of marking.
What happens next
We’ll email your school/college's exams officer when your review outcome is available on e-AQA. In the unlikely event that your outcome has a change of two grades or more, you can ask us for feedback by emailing email@example.com.