Information about transferring candidates between schools, and transfer of credit between exam boards.
There are two types of transfer:
- Transferred candidates: where a student needs to sit an exam at a different school to the one that entered them because they've moved house, been in hospital, or other exceptional circumstances.
- Transfer of credit: where a student has sat an AS with another exam board, and now needs to sit the A-level with AQA.
Use this when a student needs to sit an exam at a different school to the one that entered them.
Requests must be submitted as soon as possible and no later than the following dates:
|Exam series||Closing date|
|November 2019||7 October 2019|
|June 2020||21 March 2020|
Awarding bodies will not be able to guarantee arrangements if requests are received after these dates.
We charge a fee for each request, see our Entry fees page for details.
- Make sure the transfer is allowed by checking the JCQ guidance notes for transferred candidates.
- Make sure the school or college that the student is transferring to is a registered centre with one or more of the JCQ awarding bodies.
- Applications are now made via the JCQ Centre Admin Portal (CAP) on e-AQA. Stage one will be completed by the entering centre. Stage two will be completed and submitted by the host centre.
- We'll send confirmation emails to the entering centre and the host centre.
- We'll notify you if the application is declined.
The student's entry remains with the school or college that entered them, and keeps the original centre number, candidate number and UCI number. We'll send question papers to the school or college hosting the exam, but results and certificates will be sent to the original school or college. If you want the results to be sent to the host school, the original school will need to withdraw the entry so the new school can submit a new entry.
Transfer of credit
This arrangement is for outgoing modular AS qualifications only. It does not apply to new (reformed) qualifications.
Use this when a student sat an AS exam with another exam
board, but wants to transfer their mark to AQA so it will count towards an A-level in the same subject.
You can also use this if a student wants to transfer AS marks in one AQA subject to an A-level in another AQA subject.
Send us your application by 21 October in the academic year of the A-level (for example, October 2017 for an A-level in the June 2018 series).
- Make sure the transfer of credit is allowed by checking the JCQ GCE AS transfer of credit arrangements.
- Fill in the form from the JCQ page:
- for subjects such as English, History and Religious Studies, make sure you include set texts or topics studied, or we won't be able to process your application
- include all AS resits
- make sure both the student and the exams officer sign the form.
- Send one copy of the form to email@example.com or AQA, Entries Department, Devas Street, Manchester, M15 6EX.
We will email you to tell you whether the transfer of credit is accepted or declined. If the student resits the AS with the original exam board, let the student know that their A-level result might be delayed while we wait for the AS result – they will need to bear this in mind when applying to university.
There's a flowchart version of this information.