Information about transferring candidates between schools, and transfer of credit between exam boards.
There are two types of transfer:
- Transferred candidates: where a student needs to sit an exam at a different school to the one that entered them because they've moved house, been in hospital, or other exceptional circumstances.
- Transfer of credit: where a student has sat an AS with another exam board, and now needs to sit the A-level with AQA.
Use this when a student needs to sit an exam at a different school to the one that entered them.
Requests must be submitted as soon as possible and no later than the following dates:
|Exam series||Closing date|
|November 2021 AS and A-level||8 September 2021|
|November 2021 GCSE||4 October 2021|
|January 2022 Functional Skills; Entry Level Certificate; Applied General; Technical and Vocational Qualifications||2 December 2021|
|March 2022 Functional Skills||6 February 2022|
Awarding bodies will not be able to guarantee arrangements if requests are received after these dates.
We charge a fee for each request, see our Entry fees page for details.
- Make sure the transfer is allowed by checking the JCQ guidance notes for transferred candidates.
- Make sure the school or college that the student is transferring to is a registered centre with one or more of the JCQ awarding bodies.
- Applications are now made via the JCQ Centre Admin Portal (CAP) on Centre Services. Stage one will be completed by the entering centre. Stage two will be completed and submitted by the host centre.
- We'll send confirmation emails to the entering centre and the host centre.
- We'll notify you if the application is declined.
The student's entry remains with the school or college that entered them, and keeps the original centre number, candidate number and UCI number. We'll send question papers to the school or college hosting the exam, but results and certificates will be sent to the original school or college. If you want the results to be sent to the host school, the original school will need to withdraw the entry so the new school can submit a new entry.
Transfer of credit
This service is only available for English Functional Skills qualifications. Please send the request to firstname.lastname@example.org
We'll email you to tell you whether the transfer of credit is accepted or declined.